From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 500-Bishops urge Bush to press Philippines to curb violence

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:51:43 -0500

Bishops urge Bush to press Philippines to curb violence

Aug. 22, 2006 News media contact: Stephen Drachler * (615) 7425411* Nashville {500}

NOTE: Photographs and a copy of the bishops' letter are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By United Methodist News Service*

The president of the United Methodist Council of Bishops has urged U.S. President George W. Bush to press Philippines President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to take steps to reduce violence throughout the Southeast Asian country.

In a letter to Bush on behalf of the council, bishops' President Janice Riggle Huie of Houston cited the Aug. 3 murder of Isaias Santa Rosa, a United Methodist local pastor. He was the 21st church worker killed in the Philippines since 2001.

"United Methodists in the Philippines and the United States are deeply troubled by the growing violence of the military under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo," Huie wrote in her Aug. 21 letter to President Bush, who is a United Methodist. "We ask you to communicate to President Macapagal-Arroyo our deepening concerns, concerns which we expect you in your office share."

A high-level global delegation of United Methodists visited the Philippines on a fact-finding mission earlier this year and met with the Filipino president and urged her to take action then. The National Council of Churches in the Philippines also has called for an inquiry by the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, the United Nations Human Rights Council and other international courts of justice, Huie noted in her letter.

"Three of our United Methodist bishops in the Philippines are currently conducting further investigation into Sta. Rosa's death," Huie wrote.

Since the murder, the United Methodist Philippine Reunion - a group comprising primarily former missionaries and Filipino colleagues - as well as executives with the denomination's Board of Global Ministries and Board of Church and Society have called on U.S. and Philippine leaders to take action against the violence.

*This story was adapted from a press release by United Methodist Communications. UMNS is a unit of the communications agency.

News media contact: Stephen Drachler or Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.