From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Diocesan Digest / Newsmakers / Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:24:01 -0400

Daybook -- Today is Thursday, August 24, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Saint Bartholomew the Apostle.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1958, the Rt. Rev. James Walmesley Frederic became sixth bishop of the Diocese of Oregon. http://www.diocese-oregon.org/history

- - -

Diocesan Digest

* BETHLEHEM: Cathedral launches ad campaign

* LOS ANGELES: First stained-glass windows installed at Cathedral Center * MISSOURI: Busy Fall ahead for youths in the diocese * NORTH CAROLINA: Solo Flight Conference set for Sept. 1-4 at Kanuga * OLYMPIA: Diocesan Council declares August 27 as We Will Stand With You Sunday * PENNSYLVANIA: Thom Chu to address Christian Education Event August 31 * SAN DIEGO: Church celebrates first female acolyte in 30-year history * SOUTHERN OHIO: Service information for Bishop Thompson

Full digest: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77364_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Newsmakers

* The Rev. David Copley named mission personnel officer * The Rev. Peter G. Cheney resigning from NAES in 2007 * The Rev. W. Nicholas Knisely to serve as dean of Trinity Cathedral in Phoenix

Full stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77362_ENG_HTM.htm _ _ _

Catalyst: "Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church" from Westminster John Knox Press, by Jack Rogers, 169 pages, paperback, $17.95

[Source: Westminster John Knox Press] In a powerful new book, evangelical theologian and former Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Jack Rogers argues unequivocally for equal rights in the church and in society for people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. Throughout history, he observes, Christianity has moved towards ever greater openness and inclusiveness.

Today's church is led by many of those who were once cast out: people of color, women, and divorced and remarried people. He argues that when we interpret the Bible through the lens of Jesus' redemptive life and ministry, we see that the church is called to grant equal rights to all people. Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality describes Rogers' own change of mind and heart on the issue; charts the church's well-documented history of using biblical passages to oppress marginalized groups; argues for a Christ-centered reading of Scripture; debunks oft-repeated stereotypes about gays and lesbians; and concludes with ideas for how the church can heal itself and move forward again. A fascinating combination of personal narrative, theology, and church history, this book is essential reading for all concerned with the future of the church and the health of the nation.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800.903.5544.

**All General Convention "Come and Grow" merchandise is now available with 40 percent discount. Quantities are limited on these quality items. Bulk rates are available on magnets and bumper stickers. Visit http://www.episcopalbookstore.org and click on EBaR Merchandise.**