From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Pastoral Letter to Taiwan's Presbyterians

From "pctpress" <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:48:08 +0800

Pastoral Letter of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan The Presbyterian Church in Taiwan, concerned about current Taiwan social movements and conflicts in this land, from our standpoint of faith, calls to all believers and the entire society.

1. Lift Your Hands in Prayer for the Nation

We well know the weaknesses and limitations of humanity. In the midst of Taiwan’s current disorder and disappointment, we call upon each church, every home and all believers to lift their hands before the Lord God and humbly pray that we might be forgiven for our selfish conceit and arrogance, and that God have mercy on and protect the people and nation of Taiwan, making us brave, in the midst of strife, to stand bold, unperturbed and fearless as we come to discern what is false from what is true and that all the people of this nation might learn at this time that the Lord is with us and enables us to truly love Taiwan.

2. Care for Democracy and Uphold the Rule of Law Taiwan has held three free presidential elections. We are already quite clearly on the road of democracy. Regarding the norms of political action and peoples’ participation in l public affairs, we follow a constitution. The entire nation, government and people alike, are of one mind that through reform and experience we will together establish a holistic and democratic nation ruled by law. The solution of the nation’s problems is not a matter of any single person’s ascending to or stepping down from the highest office. Neither will return to former eras of rule by threat and oppression. Such actions would destroy the roots of democracy and rule of law which have been gained at high cost.

3. Prize Liberty, Refuse Sensationalism

After the abolition of martial law and the police state in 1987 Taiwan’s people began to learn the meaning of free expression. Among all forms of mass media, hundreds of flowers bloomed. These became arenas wherein we came to understand the freedom of the press. But in the most recent ten years, media pollution, individual reporting and intentional distortions have set before the entire nation a 24-hours-per-day parade of sensation, gambling, rumor and “manufactured news”. Though a few just and clean programmes are broadcast, they have not been enough to stop Taiwan’s daily slide into an impression of political chaos and social disturbance. Only if Taiwan’s people have courage to stand against the harm of an evil mass media, a desire to recover truth, accuracy and justice in programming and reporting, then can we hope for a society that will uplift our spirit and enter guide us to a culture of renewal.

“Steadfast Love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other.” (Psalm 85:10)

General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan

Moderator, Chen Yu-chuan General Secretary, Chang Te-chien 24th August 2006

This is an unauthorized translation, by David Alexander, of the original Chinese language letter, which may be found at http://www.pct.org.tw/news_pct.htm?strBlockID=B00006&strContentID=C20 06082300001&strDESC=Y

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw

You may translate and re-use the contents of this message if you acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and writer.

Over 910 articles from the Taiwan Church News posted since March of 2001 can be found at: http://www.ecunet.org/topic/TAIWAN_CHURCH_NEWS

Past Articles can also be found in the archives of the Worldwide Faith Network www.wfn.org