From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Mission: World Mission Sunday 2007 / Music: Haiti choir to visit Maine / Catalyst: Authority o

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:37:30 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Monday, August 28, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Augustine, Bishop of Hippo (354-430)

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1994, the 71st General Convention of the Episcopal Church passed a resolution supporting reparations and study of Japanese treatment of Koreans. http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/acts/acts_resolution.pl?resolut ion=1994-D008

- - -

World Mission Sunday 2007 will celebrate young people in global mission

"Proclaim God's Wondrous Deeds!" will be the theme of World Mission Sunday 2007, to be observed on February 18. Based on Psalm 71:17 -"O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds"-the theme celebrates the participation of youth and young adults in world mission and demonstrates to people of all ages the potential of engaging a new generation in global mission.

"Over the past twenty years, we have seen a consistent increase in participation in mission experiences for young adults and youth across the church at every level," said Thomas Chu, director of Ministries with Young People. "The intense experiences of engaging diversity and difference through mission service have a most significant impact on how young people perceive the world around them. In every generation God has already planted the seeds for mission-it is our vocation as church leaders to cultivate these seeds and to call out gifts for mission in God's world."

World Mission Sunday, celebrated every year on the last Sunday after Epiphany, is a commemoration established by mandate of General Convention Resolution 1997-A205 to help Episcopalians increase awareness of and participation in global mission.

World Mission Sunday 2007 is intended to highlight the many ways in which youth and young adults can connect to the wider world through their faith and energy.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77410_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Haiti choir to visit Maine

Les Petits Chanteurs, a 30-voice boy's choir and string quintet from Holy Trinity School of Music in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, will perform four concerts in Maine from September 23-27, the Haiti-Maine Companion Diocese Committee has announced.

Performance details follow:

Saturday, September 23 at 7:30 p.m. Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Portland

Sunday, September 24 at 4 p.m. Second Congregational Church, Newcastle

Tuesday, September 26 at 7 p.m.

Episcopal Church of St. John the Baptist, Thomaston

Wednesday, September 27 at 7 p.m. St. John's Episcopal Church, Bangor

Further information: http://www.diomaine.org/page.html?pageId=316

_ _ _

Catalyst: "The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture" from HarperCollins Publishers, by N. T. Wright, 146 pages, hardcover, $19.95

[Source: HarperCollins Publishers] -- "But what does scripture say?"

That question has echoed through a thousand debates in the life of the worldwide church. All churches have officially endorsed strong statements about the centrality of scripture and its authority in their mission, life, doctrine, and discipline. But there is no agreement on what this might mean or how it might work in practice.

In this succinct and significant book, N. T. Wright delivers a helpful lesson for our times on how to understand the place of scripture and the authority that the Bible can still hold in the midst of the religious confusion so prevalent today. His straightforward historical summary of the role of the Bible in public consciousness and in the church and his helpful suggestions for getting back on track make this book and unparalleled resource in this continuing discussion. Revealing how both evangelicals and liberals misread scripture, Wright shows the way we can restore the Bible to its rightful role as a guide for the church through its many controversies.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800.903.5544.

**All General Convention Come and Grow merchandise is now discounted at 40% off! Quantities are limited on these quality items. Bulk rates available on magnets and bumper stickers. Just visit www.episcopalbookstore.org and click on EBaR Merchandise.**