From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MECC Unit on Education & Renewal/Youth Work & Study Camp in Egypt

From mecc <mecc@cyberia.net.lb>
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:57:41 -0700

The MECC Youth Program organized a Work & Study Camp for young people in Egypt from July 28 to August 2, 2006. The camp was hosted by the Greek Orthodox Women¹s Centre in Alexandria. 26 young men and women (with equal gender balance) from the different member churches and regions of Egypt participated in volunteer manual work (painting the fence of the school annexed to the Orthodox Center), as well as in discussions on the theme: "Youth and Awareness".

The camp aimed at maintaining the Christian value of voluntary work. Camper s discussed the theme of the camp in an ecumenical setting and from different perspectives: awareness of the Biblical interpretation, of what humanity requires from them, how can the will of God be discovered in one¹s life, an d reflection on the story of the Good Samaritan. Bible studies and worships were held every morning and evening. The group used this opportunity to visit churches and monasteries, the main Library of Alexandria, and to meet with youth groups in the city.

This is how some of the campers evaluated the activity: "This camp was a surprise to me. When I first registered to participate, I had some hesitation to meeting other people from other Christian denominations. I learned through this camp how to deal with others, and learned about their liturgies and prayers". (Martina Fathi ­ Greek Orthodox Church).

"We worked together in a nice ecumenical spirit which I had never experienced before. I attended others¹ worships and I learned that I should be happy to see brothers and sisters from other denominations praying to Go d in a different way". (Raef Amir ­ Evangelical Church).

"It was the first time that I participated in a meeting with representative s of the four families of churches. I learned and experienced a lot more than I expected. It was a time for me to reflect on my life in relation with others". (Amal Nageeb­Catholic Church). For more information please contact Youth Coordinator in Egypt, Ms Genevieve William at: jouna@link.net

Middle East Council of Churches Office of International Ecumenical Relations P.O. Box 5376, Beirut, Lebanon

Guirgis Ibrahim Saleh, General Secretary

mecc@cyberia.net.lb or guirgissaleh@cyberia.net.lb

+961-1-353-938 http://www.mec-churches.org/