From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopal senators Hagel, Chafee recognized for leadership in Middle East peace

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:47:23 -0400

Episcopal News Service Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Episcopal senators Hagel, Chafee recognized for leadership in Middle East peace

By Episcopal News Service staff

[ENS] Two United States senators, Episcopalians Chuck Hagel (Republican-Nebraska) and Lincoln Chafee (Republican-Rhode Island), "are continuing to show extraordinary leadership" on the difficult issues surrounding recent developments in the Middle East, according to Maureen Shea, director of the Episcopal Church's Office of Government Relations.

Hagel and Chafee, who both serve on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, have been independent voices and are raising significant points about the search for Middle East peace and the need for greater leadership by the United States, Shea said.

Shea's remarks were echoed by the Rev. Canon Brian J. Grieves, director of Peace and Justice Ministries for the Episcopal Church. "There's no doubt that a resolution of the Israel/Palestinian conflict will require serious and fair-minded engagement from the United States," Grieves said. "Senators Hagel and Chafee offer hope that sustained U.S. leadership by the Administration will receive support from important members of Congress."

In a September 7 letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice regarding the nomination of John Bolton as United States Ambassador to the United Nations, Chafee wrote: "It is no secret that I have serious questions about this Administration's policies in the Middle East. As we tackle enormous problems in the region, most notably with Iran and Iraq, I believe we need to be successful in forging alliances."

Full story and photographs:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77704_ENG_HTM.htm