From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Meeting on primatial oversight adjourns without agreement

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:25:02 -0400

Episcopal News Service Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Meeting on primatial oversight adjourns without agreement

Conversation may continue later this year

By Matthew Davies and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] Despite "honest and frank conversations," a group of bishops with differing perspectives, meeting in New York September 11-13, was unable to reach an agreement on how to meet the needs of seven dioceses that have asked for oversight with a primate other than the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church.

"We're hoping to call another meeting later this fall to continue to wrestle with the issues," Presiding Bishop-elect Katharine Jefferts Schori said after the meeting concluded, adding that there is a "general commitment" among those present at this week's meeting to attend a subsequent meeting.

"It has occurred to me that it might be helpful to expand the group slightly so that it's not too large but includes the variety of perspectives" that exist, Jefferts Schori added.

Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold and Jefferts Schori both said after the meeting ended that the conversations that took place were valuable. "According to some of the participants, it was for them the most fruitful exchange they've been able to have," Griswold said.

Jefferts Schori called them "open and frank, sometimes challenging conversations, but very healthy ones."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77725_ENG_HTM.htm