From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Rev. Denise Janssen Accepts Education Coordinator Post For ABC of Metro Chicago

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:24:25 -0400

CHICAGO,IL (ABNS 9/14/06)-With Christian Education regaining high priority for American Baptists in Metro Chicago, the Rev. Denise Janssen has accepted the new position of Educational Coordinator for the region.

"I am thrilled my cherished colleague in ministry will be sharing her expertise and insights in religious education with congregations of our region," said Executive Minister Larry Greenfield. "Denise is a treasure who has a wealth of experience, talent, and creativity upon which to draw as we renew our commitment as a region to education and discipleship in the Christian faith."

In her new assignment, she will help congregations assess their needs in Christian Education, provide assistance in selecting curricula, lead teaching training workshops, and develop special educational resources for metropolitan ministries.

Commenting on her call to this post, Janssen said, "I have a passion for working with congregations as they seek to find new ways of preparing people of all ages to be faithful disciples of Jesus. And I believe the opportunities for growth and deepened commitment are wonderfully diverse in this Metro Chicago region."

Most recently Janssen served the Community Church of Wilmette in the areas of Christian Education, Youth Ministries, and Pastoral Care. Earlier she was the Staff Associate for youth in ABCMC and Minister of Children and Youth at the First Baptist Church of Oak Park, where she was ordained in 1994. In addition to her background and expertise in Christian Education, the new Education Coordinator has a rich background in fundraising and development.

She is currently pursing the Ph.D. degree in Christian Education and Congregational Studies at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston and will assume her regional role in September.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/