From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop reflects on Camp Allen, Kigali statements

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:04:03 -0400

Episcopal News Service Thursday, September 28, 2006

Presiding Bishop reflects on Camp Allen, Kigali statements

Deputies' president echoes important clarifications

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold reaffirmed, in a September 28 letter to the bishops of the Episcopal Church, that the process initiated by the 2004 Windsor Report is "a process of mutual growth which calls for patience, mutual understanding and generosity of spirit rather than stark submission."

Griswold wrote to the members of the House of Bishops, reflecting on the recent meeting of 21 Episcopal bishops at Camp Allen, Texas, and the gathering of Global South Anglican leaders in Kigali, Rwanda.

In his reflections he wrote that the people of the Episcopal Church are "making our best efforts within our church to be faithful to the Windsor process."

He questioned the Global South leaders who called for a separate Anglican identity in the United States, as well as those members of the Episcopal Church who are also "working to achieve such an end."

Griswold challenged the declaration of some of the Global South primates who claimed to be unable to accept Presiding Bishop-elect Katharine Jefferts Schori's leadership.

He also refuted claims that the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, had initiated the Camp Allen meeting or delegated two Church of England bishops to speak at the meeting on his behalf.

Griswold wrote that he agreed with the Kigali statement's declaration that "the challenges facing our Anglican structures can be a distraction from the work of the gospel." Working for healing and reconciliation in the world can lead to the same in the Communion, he wrote.

The full text of Griswold's September 28 letter is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78170_ENG_HTM.htm

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78197_ENG_HTM.htm