From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ALC] SWITZERLAND - United for Peace

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:37:07 -0700

Jueves 28 de septiembre del 2006 | Correio-e: director@alcnoticias.org |Editora: Claudia Florentin

SWITZERLAND - United for Peace

GENEVA, 21 September (ALC) ? The International Day of Prayer for Peace will be celebrated on 21 September by thousands of churches and organisations worldwide. This will be an opportunity for Christians and their communities in all regions to pray, reflect upon and act together for peace.

The initiative from the World Council of Churches was launched two years ago within the Decade to Overcome Violence(DOV), and was welcomed by United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan. Its celebration coincides with the UN International Day of Peace.

The theme for 2006, "... and still we seek peace", was chosen by the churches in Latin America, the region in special focus of the Decade to Overcome Violence this year. A prayer service will take place on 21 September at 12.15 in the Ecumenical Center in Geneva, Switzerland.

According to the UN resolution, "the International Day of Peace shall henceforth be observed as a day of global cease-fire and non-violence, an invitation to all nations and people to honour a cessation of hostilities for the duration of the Day."

On our continent, the Evangelical Church in Colombia has informed that it will celebrate the day of non-violence in 50 cities. A cross-institutional initiative, the following Christian movements will take part of the celebrations, holding simultaneous marches for peace and non-violence: Pan y Paz, an initiative from the Mennonnite Church of Colombia, Justapaz, The Committee for the Restoration of Life and Peace of the Evangelical Council of Colombia (Cedecol), Associations of Pastors and Christian churches in general.

Pan y Paz

Pan y Paz meanwhile, reasserts its commitment to non-violence "as an option of life and example from the Prince of Peace, to whom we shall pay tribute and direct our prayers for a cease-fire in the internal conflict of our land and for a more equitable and inclusive society".

Source: WCC, Justapaz

Latin American and Caribbean News Agency (ALC) Olazábal 2842

1428 Buenos Aires - Argentina

Teléfono (54 11) 4782 0804 - Fax (5411) 4784 7121

Correo-e: editora@alcnoticias.org

http://www.alcpress.org