From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Pray, Donate Funds on Behalf of Amish Schoolhouse Tragedy

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:01:54 -0500

Title: Lutherans Pray, Donate Funds on Behalf of Amish Schoolhouse Tragedy ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 4, 2006

Lutherans Pray, Donate Funds on Behalf of Amish Schoolhouse Tragedy 06-149-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Lutheran Disaster Response Network of the Lower Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is urging Lutherans to pray for the Amish community in Lancaster County, Pa., after a gunman invaded the West Nickel Mines Amish School there Oct. 2. Three students died at the scene, two others died in hospitals Oct. 3 and five remained hospitalized Oct. 4.

According to Barbara A. Myers, staff of the synod received inquires offering help for people affected by the shootings. "Two funds have been established -- one for the shooter's children and one for the Nickel Mines Children's Fund," said Myers, director for communication, ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod, Harrisburg, Pa. Donations for either fund may be sent to the synod office. Please indicate to which fund monies are to be directed, she said. "We will see that monies are sent to the bank(s) where funds have been established."

The gunman, Charles Carl Roberts IV, who committed suicide shortly after police arrived at the schoolhouse, is survived by a spouse and three children.

Members of St. Michael Lutheran Church, Strasburg, Pa., have agreed to receive cards and/or letters of condolences for the Amish community. The church is located in the area of the Amish schoolhouse. Members of St. Michael "will see that cards and letters are delivered," said Myers.

The Lutheran Disaster Response Network of the ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod (LS/LDRN) is providing counseling and emotional and spiritual care for the community in Lancaster County. "By the end of the week, we will have a better picture of the needs here," said Tim Brown, LS/LDRN team coordinator.

"Above all pray for the children, for the family of the shooter, for the families of the children, for the community, for our emergency personnel and for our network, who will inevitably be asked to respond and 'walk with,'" Brown said.

The ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod has 267 congregations in nine Pennsylvania counties, including Lancaster. - - -

The homepage of the ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod is at http://www.lss-ELCA.org on the Web.

EDITORS:

ELCA Lower Susquehanna Synod 900 S. Arlington Ave., Ste. 208 Harrisburg, PA 17109-5031

St. Michael Lutheran Church 40 E. Main Street Strasburg, PA 17579-1426

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog