From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Philippine Independent Church deplores former Supreme Bishop's murder

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 4 Oct 2006 22:55:21 -0400

Episcopal News Service Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Philippine Independent Church deplores former Supreme Bishop's murder

Friends, supporters recall Bishop Ramento's selfless commitment to justice

By Matthew Davies

[ENS] The Most Rev. Godofredo J. David, 11th Obispo Maximo of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente (IFI), or the Philippine Independent Church, has rebuked the brutal killing of Bishop Alberto B. Ramento of Tarlac, former IFI Obispo Maximo, in an October 4 statement that said his death has enflamed the hearts of the clergy and members of the Philippine-based church "to remain faithful to her pro-people and pro-labor heritage."

Ramento was found stabbed to death at his rectory in the Parish of San Sebastian, Tarlac City, on the morning of October 3.

Although the initial police investigation reported the incident as a case of robbery with homicide, "the Ramento family, the clergy and the faithful of the Diocese of Tarlac believe that the motive is much deeper than what has come out from the spot investigation," David said in his statement. "There are glaring indications that Bishop Ramento's murder was thoroughly planned and politically motivated. We believe that the brutal killing was the inevitable consequence of his principled engagement with the people and their struggle for the fullness of life."

Ramento had been an outspoken critic of the Philippine government and a leading advocate for peace and human rights in the country.

"I know they are going to kill me next but never will I abandon my duty to God and my ministry to the people," the statement quoted Ramento as saying to his family.

On behalf of the IFI, David "denounced in the strongest possible terms this barbaric and dastardly act against a man of the cloth within the premises of his own church," and urged the authorities to conduct a thorough and impartial investigation and bring the perpetrators of Ramento's murder to justice.

Ramento's murder is the latest in a sequence of killings of Christian leaders in the Philippines over the past two years.

The full text of the IFI statement is available at: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78361_ENG_HTM.htm

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78381_ENG_HTM.htm