From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Teaching: Trinity University of Asia / Catalyst: Stories of Mission Companions

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:44:48 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, October 10, 2006.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1860, the cornerstone was laid for Sewanee: The University of the South. http://www2.sewanee.edu/communications/university_history

- - -

Diocesan Digest

CONNECTICUT: Second parish enters Episcopal oversight arrangement http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78491_ENG_HTM.htm

TEXAS: Dena Harrison consecrated bishop suffragan http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78486_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

World Report

ENGLAND: Global fundraising campaign launched to save Canterbury Cathedral http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78472_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTH AFRICA: Tutu, turning 75, laments Anglican position on homosexuals http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78474_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

People

Cynthia Black to receive Doctor of Divinity degree from Berkeley seminary http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78493_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Tuesday Teaching

Trinity College of Quezon City becomes Trinity University of Asia

[ENS] -- The Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion (CUAC) and the Association of Episcopal Colleges have announced the change in status of Trinity College of Quezon City, Philippines, to Trinity University of Asia (TUA).

Trinity's five-year mission to become a university was officially accomplished on July 18 when the Commission on Higher Education granted the change. The September 18 investiture of Dr. Josephina Suerte Sumaya, as the university's first president, at the Cathedral of St. Mary and St. John inaugurated the occasion.

In her address, Sumaya, who previously served as the first female president of the college and led the pursuit for the university standing, described the change as a "dream fulfilled" but "we will continue to dream and dare to do bigger things."

"So here we are today, a young and healthy two-month old baby university," she said. "But if we date our birthday to when Trinity College was founded in 1963, we are now 43 years old. Life begins at 40 so they say. Whether the University is two months old or 43, a bright future lies ahead. And we do not intend to rest on our laurels."

Trinity is the first full-fledged college instituted through the concordat of the Episcopal Church in the Philippines and the Iglesia Filipina Independiente, or Philippine Independent Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78495_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "The Scripture of Their Lives: Stories of Mission Companions Today" from Morehouse Publishing, edited by Jane Butterfield, 122 pages, paperback, $10

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] -- Over the centuries, Christians from all cultures and walks of life have responded with generosity to Jesus' command to make disciples of all nations. Here in The Scripture of Their Lives, readers will find vignettes of twenty-two Episcopal missionaries who have helped spread the gospel around the globe.

The story of each missionary illustrates one of the principles of emerging mission theology, as outlined by the Episcopal Church. Not only do they show the challenging and important work of mission, but they illustrate imperatives found in Holy Scripture. Each story is introduced with a familiar narrative passage from the Bible.

Also featured in The Scripture of Their Lives is a foreword by Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.