From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] ACNS Digest 13 October 2006

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:22:09 -0700

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with reports from Lambeth, ACO, the Philippines, Ceylon, Kenya and the USA. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(723) 13-October-2006 - Archbishop of Canterbury - universities have 'essential role' in public life - Lambeth

Universities fulfil an essential role and responsibility in building up a healthy society, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams has argued.

In a lecture given at Wuhan University earlier today (Friday 13th October 2006), Dr Williams traced the roots of the university system in the desire to nourish spiritual and moral maturity, as well as intellectual skill. This, he said, provided a model for universities to continue their contribution to the ongoing debates on the moral dimensions of public life both in China and in the West.

"... the religious origins of the European university are not irrelevant. The presence of the churches and other recognised religious bodies within society today can often be seen as that of a 'critical friend' - to use a favourite term - witnessing to different standards and expectations about human beings and so opening up a further dimension to human experience. They are not, of course, the same; and it would be wrong to say that all universities should somehow have a religious basis. But both challenge any idea that conflict is natural. Both speak of a reality around us that is at once ordered and mysterious, that enables both confidence and humility. Both therefore help to create what I have been calling the mature citizen. "

He said that universities needed to avoid becoming prisoners of tradition, and should resist undue external pressure to produce rapid or commercial results from academic research. They also need to move beyond cultural or political expectations if they are to fulfil their potential:

"The fundamental character of this role is not to do with the university's success in meeting the material targets of the society, in the scale and size of its industrial or defence contracts, nor is it to do with the university's unquestioning promotion of a single religious, philosophical or political ideology. Instead it is about the university's capacity to help create mature citizens, persons who are free from certain sorts of prejudice and fear."

The best product of a university should not simply be technically qualified experts, but citizens of maturity and benevolence:

" ... it is the person who has acquired the habit and virtue of learning, and who sees the social world as a place not primarily of struggle and conflict over control but as a context where conversation may be pursued with patience. And this is a deeply political matter, in the fullest sense of the much abused word 'political'. It alters what we think we can expect of each other; it challenges any assumption that conflict is the natural position for human beings; when there are clashes of interest, it tells us how to question what we have taken for granted about our own best interests and encourages us to seek for something new that is not just the property of one individual or faction. The university nourishes 'civility' - in the narrow sense of patience and courtesy in dispute, and in the much larger sense of concern for proper and open public life in the civitas, the city, the community of citizens."

ENDS

The full text is available here:

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/sermons_speeches/061010.htm

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=72 3&pos=#723

(722) 13-October-2006 - New Westminster Report Released - ACO

The Archbishop of Canterbury's PANEL OF REFERENCE (POR) for the Anglican Communion report on the Diocese of New Westminster is now available at the following link on the Anglican Communion Website:

http://www.aco.org/commission/reference/docs/report_october.pdf

The entire report is here presented in 32 paragraphs with 4 recommendations.

The Panel of Reference is chaired by the Most Revd Peter Carnley and staffed through the Anglican Communion Office, London, by the Revd Canon Gregory Cameron. The panel first met in July 2005. The functions of the Panel include :

[at the request of the Archbishop of Canterbury] "to enquire into, consider and report on situations drawn to my attention where there is serious dispute concerning the adequacy of schemes of delegated or extended episcopal oversight or other extraordinary arrangements which may be needed to provide for parishes which find it impossible in all conscience to accept the direct ministry of their own diocesan bishop or for dioceses in dispute with their provincial authorities;

With [his] consent to make recommendations to the Primates, dioceses and provincial and diocesan authorities concerned, and to report to [him] on their response;

At the request of any Primate to provide a facility for mediation and to assist in the implementation of any such scheme in his own province."

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=72 2&pos=#722

(721) 12-October-2006 - Trinity College of Quezon City becomes Trinity University of Asia - Philippines

The Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion (CUAC) and the Association of Episcopal Colleges have announced the change in status of Trinity College of Quezon City, Philippines, to Trinity University of Asia (TUA).

Trinity's five-year mission to become a university was officially accomplished on July 18 when the Commission on Higher Education granted the change. The September 18 investiture of Dr. Josephina Suerte Sumaya, as the university's first president, at the Cathedral of St. Mary and St. John inaugurated the occasion.

In her address, Sumaya, who previously served as the first female president of the college and led the pursuit for the university standing, described the change as a 'dream fulfilled' but 'we will continue to dream and dare to do bigger things.'

'So here we are today, a young and healthy two-month old baby university,' she said. 'But if we date our birthday to when Trinity College was founded in 1963, we are now 43 years old. Life begins at 40 so they say. Whether the University is two months old or 43, a bright future lies ahead. And we do not intend to rest on our laurels.'

Trinity is the first full-fledged college instituted through the concordat of the Episcopal Church in the Philippines and the Iglesia Filipina Independiente, or Philippine Independent Church.

It is a private, non-sectarian, non-profit, and church-related institution of learning founded in 1963 by the contribution of funds in 1922 of Proctor and Gamble stock from the Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey Paul Matthews and his wife Elsie Procter. The stock grew in value enabling the foundation of the college.

According to the Rev. Dr. Don Thompson, CUAC's general secretary, the Association of Episcopal Colleges has sponsored the American 'Friends of Trinity College' which helped raise funds for Trinity's building expansions in the 1990s.

'What makes Trinity outstanding amongst other Anglican and Episcopal Colleges around the world has been its commitment to service learning - a vision of both education and the church contributing service and knowledge to the building up of community and society,' Thompson said. 'The work Trinity has done and continues to do is exemplary.'

As a university, Sumaya said they will perfect their faculty profile to have 100 percent doctorate and master's degree holders teaching in the tertiary level; continue to revise their curricula to make them relevant and responsive to the needs of the times; update their information technology system and e-learning and teach students skills relevant to the industry; and consider developing new work-focused courses to produce graduates for industry, business and hospitals.

Nonetheless, while preparing students for jobs she said they will stress that a Trinity education should also 'develop their moral and spiritual values to make them whole persons.'

'Our mission statement reminds us that we should prepare our students 'for a better life through God-centered education and service' and our vision is to 'form integrally developed, competent, productive and socially responsible citizens,' Sumaya said.

'They have built a remarkable university, and very much at its core are Christian values and service to others,' Thompson said.

As a university, Sumaya said more attention will now be paid to their mission and vision statements because "this will be our raison d'etre and it must remain at the heart of the university.'

'We will move towards an organization where faculty and staff are intrinsically motivated, inspired by team spirit and common identity, thus harnessing the collective talents and energy of people to achieve most useful corporate results,' she said.

Further information is available at Colleges and Universities of the Anglican Communion (CUAC).

The Association of Episcopal Colleges is a consortium of colleges with historic and present ties to the Episcopal Church. It was founded in 1962 with a commitment to supporting academic excellence and linking faith and values with learning and service.

For more information visit the TUA website. http://www.tcqc.edu.ph/

Article from: Episcopal News Service

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=72 1&pos=#721

(720) 12-October-2006 - Bishop's Pastoral Address - Ceylon

Excerpts from the Address by the Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera, Bishop of Colombo at the 121st Annual Sessions of the Diocesan Council Diocese of Colombo, (Anglican) Church of Ceylon

Welcome

My dear sisters and brothers, I greet you in the name of the triune God and warmly welcome you all to our annual Diocesan Council sessions of 2006.

A Separated Family

I am deeply saddened and conscious that our brothers and sisters of Jaffna are unable to be with us due to travel constraints. The Jaffna presence and spirituality has always been an intrinsic and indispensable dynamic in the life and witness of the whole Diocese. The absence of these our brothers and sisters will certainly impoverish our fellowship and common work for Christ.

The people of Jaffna have been experiencing tremendous hardship and danger over the past few months. Shelling, fighting, killings, abductions and disappearances take place daily. Regular curfews restrict movements and the closure of the A9 has cut us off from each other. The shortage of essentials like infant milk powder and sugar and flour is worsening and worrying. There is no regular supply of electricity. Schools function sporadically and uncertainty and fear prevails among all civilians.

It is in these circumstances that the Standing Committee decided to cancel the cultural event and dinner after Evensong on the 5th. Our gathering and agenda must reflect the reality that we meet as a fragmented family.

I have however in consultation with the Standing Committee and Archdeacon of Jaffna taken steps to link the thinking and participation of our separated Jaffna representatives with the business of this Council. An informal gathering of Clergy and Lay Representatives has been held in Jaffna. We were able to get the relevant Diocesan Council material across and a similar agenda has been kept. A record of these informal proceedings will hopefully be shared with you.

The primary challenge faced by this Council is therefore to do business and also reflect the absence of a significant part of the Diocese with a distinct identity. It is for this reason that I suggest that we ought to discuss but not decide on the resolutions before us. Jaffna too can only do likewise, and this way we stand together. There will no doubt be much edification in this process.

There will however be one exception to this. The resolution on Church Union is of a very different nature. It is being considered concurrently by a number of other churches as well. Our inability to decide will stall a collaborative process that has already been stalled for too long. So, I intend putting this resolution to the vote. The thinking of Jaffna on this resolution will be shared at the appropriate time.

Women Priests

It was with thanksgiving to God and great joy that we ordained three Deacons the Revds Malini, Glory and Chandrika as Priests on Holy Cross Day in September. This step was the culmination of a long process of prayer, study, discussion and perseverance. But more needs to be done. The presence of women Priests does not mean that we are an equal Church. The women of our Church are gifted and have as much to offer as men. Consequently our strivings to create a culture in which women will share the work and decisions and leadership of the Church with men must continue. The presence of a few women Priests in our midst will serve as a reminder that our work for Christ in this area is still unfinished.

Our women Priests will be required to meet the same standards in personal discipline and ministry as the men. I have cautioned them however that as pioneers they will be watched and perhaps even scrutinized more closely! My request of us all is that our expectations of them should not be any different from our expectations of male Priests. Please receive them and support them with love, respect and kindness.

The search for appropriate terminology to address our women priests continues. While this is an area in which we ought to be creative and trust the Holy Spirit, theological and cultural relevance should be kept in mind.

I am taking steps to commemorate this historic event with the painting of an appropriate mural in the Lady Chapel of the Cathedral.

National Crisis

I end on the theme that I began with. The meeting of our fragmented family brings home to us the stark reality that we are a fragmented country. We are a family at war.

The Cease-fire Agreement is being blatantly disregarded by both sides to the agreement and a dangerous war culture is gaining momentum as the fighting, killings and bombings, displacements, disappearances and deprivation continue with a vengeance, particularly in the North and East. The Monitoring Mission struggles with its role and responsibility. The international facilitator and Co-Chairs are frustrated by the lack of trust and transparency amongst us Sri Lankans and in our relations with them. And the wider international community observes us with caution. Behind all this is the sinister rise in the cost of living seriously worsened by the staggering war budget. Corruption, mismanagement and political greed also combine to exploit the limited resources available. The poorest of the poor are suffocated and have no escape.

The Problem

The heart of this complex problem is an ethnic problem. The Tamils and Muslims of this country must be recognized, received and provided for with dignity and as equal citizens with the right to devolved governance and participation in the destiny of the country. But various other contributory factors have now widened and redefined the crisis.

In a word, ours is a crisis of integrity. The alarmingly growing absence of integrity in public and democratic institutions has led to a steady erosion of basic human values. The greed for power and selfish sectarian agendas coupled with an obsession with status and wealth and a disregard for law and order and natural justice is fast plunging the country into chaos. Through all this our political leaders have developed the fine art of blaming each other for the mess and doing absolutely little else to improve the situation.

The Way Forward

The way forward for the country is clearly a negotiated settlement leading to devolution at least in the form of an appropriate federal system. The GoSL must make its offer after adequate consultation with all parties in the south and the LTTE must reciprocate. I urge both the GoSL and the LTTE to co-operate towards this settlement. If this happens The GoSL will have the satisfaction of resolving the Tamil problem in a just way and the LTTE will have the satisfaction that its struggle on behalf of the Tamils has achieved its purpose. It is a serious mistake for the GoSL to imagine that the Tamil problem can be resolved by war and without devolution and for the LTTE to let such opportunities to pass. In all this, Muslim interests must also be consulted and accommodated.

Parallel with this thrust two other immediate steps are necessary. Tamils and Tamil speaking Muslims should be enabled to transact business with Government Departments and in Police Stations in the Tamil language. This is a long overdue provision that has so far had lip service. Minorities are an integral part of this Country and must be afforded these basic rights as a serious demonstration that they are not second class citizens.

A culture in which all minorities, specially Tamils, are welcomed and treated with dignity whether at check points or in employment, also needs to be built with care and purpose.

Measures such as these require the deliberate initiative of the State and the co-operation of all. They build trust and National integration, and check the expansion of majoritarianism. They should be based on National policy, introduced through education and awareness and the stance of leaders and require a shift in the attitudes and historical prejudices of people.

The church must continue to play its modest role. Faithfulness to Christ in this crisis requires the church to continue ceaselessly in intercessory prayer, reflection and meditation. We are also required to stand with the powerless and voiceless and speak on their behalf, and to challenge those who abuse power and resort to violence for selfish sectarian gain. We should not attempt this alone. There are other partners who walk the same journey and we must accompany them. We need to articulate and demonstrate new and creative ways of dealing with past grievance and the cycle of revenge. We do this best as Christians when we call the nation away from violence and injustice to repentance, forgiveness, justice, reconciliation and peace; and when we insist that hope for us lies in enemies becoming brothers and sisters.

We also need to offer alternatives to greed for power and materialism. The core of the gospel teaches sharing, detachment from materialism and simplicity of life style in which there is highest fulfilment for all.

Such a journey no doubt entails risks. We will be maligned and misunderstood and caricatured and called all kinds of names. But we need not be intimidated for we are engaged in the work of Christ. While we must be cautious about being simplistic, foolhardy or arrogant, the fear of reaction and the desire for comfort and personal security mostly should not crush our spirit or undermine our faithfulness in Christ and by the oppressed.

The way forward in this arduous task of peace making is to trust in God's wisdom and to collectively deepen our inner lives and commitment in Christ through self-criticism, prayer and obedience.

The Rt Revd Duleep de Chickera, Bishop of Colombo

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=72 0&pos=#720

(716) 12-October-2006 - Anglican bishop backs pressure on EU to change trade position - Kenya

The Rt. Rev. Gideon Ireri

Kenyan Bishop Gideon Ireri, who co-ordinates the justice and peace department for the Anglican Church of Kenya, says the European Union should change its position on free-trade negotiations with developing countries, a demand made by civil society groups in east and southern Africa. 'I support the civil society in opposing EPAs (Economic Planning Agreements). It is akin to a debt burden where poor countries continue to grow poorer,' Ireri told Ecumenical News International from Nyeri in northern Kenya in a telephone interview.

He spoke after trade activists globally observed Stop Economic Partnership Agreements Day at the end of September with African churches saying the agreements risked sinking the world's poorest countries further into poverty.

The first official EPA talks between the EU and countries in east and southern Africa opened in Mombasa, Kenya, on September 28.

Non-governmental organisations such as the Agency for Cooperation and Research in Development (ACORD), EcoNews and Oxfam, said in a September 26 joint press conference that Europe was failing to put development at the heart of these trade agreements.

'We are calling for fair trade agreements which recognize the differences between two countries,' Eva Odette, the African co-ordinator for Oxfam, told the media.

'The process is really lop-sided,' said Valerie Gnide Traore, the Africa program manager for ACORD. 'It is unacceptable for the EU to be pushing so hard for free-trade deals with Africa when the consequences will be so disastrous to development and human rights.'

Article by Fredrick Nzwili - Ecumenical News International

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=71 6&pos=#716

(715) 12-October-2006 - Amish school tragedy prompts diocesan, ERD response - USA

Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) is providing emergency assistance to support families affected by the October 2 tragedy when five students were killed and five others hospitalised following a shooting at an Amish schoolhouse in Bart Township, Pennsylvania.

'There are four (Episcopal) parishes in Lancaster proper, four others in the county and they have all been open for vigil and prayer,' said Bishop Michael W. Creighton of Central Pennsylvania. 'Many Episcopalians have neighbors who are Amish. We are learning a lot from the Amish, who have a strong sense of community. There is a communal sense of forgiveness that is pervasive.'

ERD is supplying emergency assistance to the Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, which will help with supportive care personnel for emotional and trauma needs through Mennonite Disaster Services. The funds will also support an interfaith effort to help families of children injured in the tragedy.

'Our thoughts and prayers are with our brothers and sisters not only in Lancaster but the greater community,' said Richard Ohlsen, ERD's director of Domestic Disaster Response and Preparedness. 'ERD's Domestic Disaster Program is committed to supporting dioceses after emergencies and standing with communities in their time of crisis.'

To help people affected by disasters, please make a donation to the Emergency Relief Fund at http://www.er-d.org. Gifts can be mailed to Episcopal Relief and Development 'Emergency Relief Fund' P.O. Box 12043, Newark, NJ 07101.

Article from: Episcopal News Service, Source: Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD)

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=10&article=71 5&pos=#715

___________________________________________________________________ ACNSlist, published by Anglican Communion News Service, London, is distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around the world.

For subscription INFORMATION please go to: