From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Teaching: Communication will drive IPSL gathering / Catalyst: Holy Communion

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:56:43 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, October 17, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch, and martyr.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1998, the Rev. James B. Lemler was installed as eighth dean of Seabury-Western Seminary in Evanston, Illinois. http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_number=98-2260

- - -

Teaching: Communication will drive IPSL gathering in November

by Daphne Mack

[ENS] -- The International Partnership for Service-Learning and Leadership (IPSL) will hold the first joint meeting of its board of trustees and graduate and undergraduate program directors November 16-18 at the Episcopal Church Center in New York City.

"There are a number of very practical tasks that we need to initiate," said Nevin C. Brown, IPSL president. "But a great deal of what this meeting will be about is communication."

IPSL, a worldwide association of universities, colleges, non-governmental and related organizations united to foster service-learning, is headquartered in the Episcopal Church Center. It is a not-for-profit educational organization governed by a board of trustees that consists of leaders in education and the community service sector from around the world.

"We believe it is important for our program directors to have some time with the board of trustees," Brown said. "We have not offered sufficient opportunities in the past for persons on the ground in our programs to communicate both the successes and challenges of learning and service in different cultural settings."

Full story:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78696_ENG_HTM.htm - - -

People

William E. Scrivener elected president of Association for Clinical Pastoral Education http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_78692_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "The Meal Jesus Gave Us" from Westminster John Knox Press, by Tom Wright, 82 pages, paperback, $8.95

[Source: Westminster John Knox Press] -- Nothing is more central to Christian practice than Holy Communion. Yet, curiously enough, little attempt is made to explain it. So many outside the Christian community are just puzzled by it, and many within the church go to Communion from habit but know very little about how it arose and what it means. This is the ideal book for both types of reader. It is written by one of the foremost New Testament scholars in the world, who has the enviable ability to write with engaging charm. -- Michael Green, from the forward

In this small, introductory volume perfect for Protestant new member and confirmation classes, acclaimed theologian and writer Tom Wright explains in clear and vivid style the background to the Last Supper, the ways in which Christians have interpreted this event over the centuries, and what it all means for us today.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.