From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: OGHS Funds Designated To Support Amish Families After Shooting

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:15:06 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 10/17/06)-Kenneth George, National Coordinator for Direct Human Services of National Ministries, American Baptist Churches USA, reports that $5,000 in One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) undesignated disaster funds went to the Amish School Recovery Fund.

"Violence in schools across our nation is deeply disturbing and our hearts go out to all children and families facing these tragedies," said Dr. Aidsand Wright-Riggins III, Executive Director of National Ministries. "With our contribution to the Amish relief fund, American Baptists stand with a gentle people -- in our own Anabaptist tradition -- who were violently attacked. Their only show of force is amazing forgiveness that is now reverberating throughout the world."

The Mennonite Disaster Service and Mennonite Central Committee, both in Akron, Pa., established the fund to help meet medical, transportation and support service expenses of the families whose daughters were shot at Nickel Mines School on October 2. The Amish, who do not carry health insurance, face high costs for the hospitalization of five girls wounded in the attack. Funds also will support the family of Charles Carl Roberts IV, who shot 10 Amish girls in the one-room schoolhouse, killing five.

"We ache that such senseless and terrible violence has been visited upon the most innocent and upon a Christian community that has foresworn violence as they follow Christ," said General Secretary, Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley in a statement from American Baptist Churches USA, issued immediately following the tragedy.

Though the Amish did not request financial assistance, leaders in their community consented to receiving this help. A nine-member committee with seven Amish and two non-Amish members will administer the fund.

American Baptists desiring to respond with Christian love, can send contributions to Office of the General Secretary - Finance, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851, designated for "OGHS-Amish School Fund" or enter an amount on the Monthly Report of Mission Support, Line OGH, on the receipt form. For online contributions, go to the American Baptist Churches USA Web site and click on Give/ Give Online / Ministry Around the World.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/