From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WARC wants the UN to play larger role for peace and justice

From "Karin Wisniewski" <kaw@warc.ch>
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:50:01 +0200

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 18 October 2006

ALLIANCE WANTS THE UN TO PLAY LARGER ROLE FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE

The world needs an effective United Nations that will become an even more influential promoter of peace and justice, a leader of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) says in a letter to incoming UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

Setri Nyomi, general secretary of the Alliance, congratulated Ban in a letter on 17 October that noted that the South Korean foreign minister will take up his position at the UN at a time of great suffering and insecurity in the world.

?More than ever before, in a world in which unilateral actions have led to disastrous consequences, we need the only broadly based multilateral body, the United Nations. We need the UN to be effective and focused and to respond to the tough questions of our world today.

?These tough questions include following through with reforms in the UN so that it might be the kind of multilateral body which will indeed serve the entire global family?s need for peace and wellbeing,? Nyomi wrote.

?We hope that under your leadership we can see the United Nations and its agencies effectively playing their role in the world today. We hope that you will build on the good work of your predecessor and take it further so that it might become an even greater force for peace and justice in the world.?

Nyomi said in the letter to Ban that the war in Iraq, human rights abuses by some countries and groups, the human suffering as a consequence of economic injustice and devastating diseases such as HIV/AIDS are among the UN?s challenges today.

He offered the prayers and support of the Alliance in addressing these challenges, saying all religious communities can be forces for peace and justice even while a few misuse religious sentiments to destructive ends.

*****

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 218 churches in 107 countries - united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC?s secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch