From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 618-Belmont University to host men's four-year gathering

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:26:01 -0500

Belmont University to host men's four-year gathering

Oct. 18, 2006

NOTE: A photograph is available at http://umns.umc.org.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- Belmont University has been chosen as the site for the 10th national gathering of United Methodist Men in 2009.

The United Methodist Commission on United Methodist Men and Belmont University made the announcement in a media release Oct. 17.

Belmont University is "excited to welcome the United Methodist Men to the Belmont campus," said Bob Fisher, university president. "Their rich tradition of faith, fellowship and community fits perfectly at Belmont, which has been the site of higher education since 1890. Anytime we can welcome esteemed groups to campus with values similar to Belmont's, we are honored to do so."

The men's commission, the agency that plans the national gathering, voted Sept. 16 to move the quadrennial men's conference from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., to Nashville. Purdue University had been the gathering's home since 1953.

The commission voted for the change in response to requests for a more family-friendly locale, better access to an airport or metropolitan area, and more confined spaces for workshops and other options, instead of having to walk long distances to participate in gathering events.

Nearly 5,000 men are expected for the July 9-12, 2009, conference at Belmont University's Curb Event Center, a 90,000-square-foot sports and entertainment complex that provides facilities for athletics, concerts, speakers, conferences, dinners and receptions.

The Rev. David Adams, top staff executive of the Commission on United Methodist Men, is a Belmont graduate. "It is an honor and privilege to partner with Belmont University for our 10th National Gathering of United Methodist Men," Adams said. "The beauty of the campus and close proximity of the facilities are ideal for this event," he said.

Butch Spyridon, president of the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau, is also pleased that the quadrennial meeting of United Methodist Men is coming to Nashville.

"This announcement is great news for our city. It further solidifies the great reputation that both Nashville and Belmont have developed over the last decade," Spyridon said.

"When a group chooses to move after 56 years you are humbled and honored to be the new destination of choice. Congrats and 'thanks' to Belmont and 'welcome' to the United Methodist Men's conference."

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.