From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 628-Africana Worship Book affirms diversity of African descendents

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:35:15 -0500

Africana Worship Book affirms diversity of African descendents

Oct. 23, 2006

NOTE: A photograph is available at http://unms.umc.org.

By Jeanette Pinkston*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - A 21st century Africana liturgy that addresses the ethos, traditions and innovations of United Methodist worshippers of African descent has been released by the United Methodist Board of Discipleship.

The new worship resource, called The Africana Worship Book, contains calls to worship, liturgies, prayers, litanies, offertory prayers, doxologies, choral readings, creeds, chants and benedictions. The compilations are based on Year A of the Revised Common Lectionary, yet are organized by worship elements for ease of use.

At a 2004 consultation on the liturgy needs of African-American United Methodist congregations, participants concluded that these congregations could no longer think of themselves as being solely African-American. Worshippers of African descent come from such places as the continent of Africa, the Caribbean Islands and the Americas. The term "Africana" reflects this diversity and heritage.

Through a needs assessment and discernment process, a clear need emerged for a 21st century Africana liturgy. The Africana Worship Book and CD-ROM were published by the agency's Discipleship Resources. The cost of the book is $32.

Congregations may use the accompanying CD-ROM, which is included with the book, in the preparation of printed orders of worship. All the worship resources in the book are available in a cut-and-paste format for ease of use.

"We use a lot of the liturgies, calls to worship and prayers of confession. It's important for us to have this wonderful resource," said the Rev. Gloria Roach-Thomas, pastor of Camphor United Methodist Church in St. Paul, Minn.

"We're the only African-American United Methodist church in the state of Minnesota. It's a wonderful way for my congregation to connect with the greater United Methodist Africana liturgies and people. We're not working in isolation," she said.

The liturgies are presented in language designed to resonate with worshipers. Roach-Thomas has found "Sin Don' Lost Its Grip" and "Feed Me 'Til I Want No More" particularly popular with her congregation during worship, communion services and Bible studies.

"They almost get down in our bones! It's wonderful! We love it and we use it," she exclaimed.

"They (the liturgies) connect us to our daily lives. All of us can relate. I don't care who you are - African, African-American and other groups - they are so real and practical and authentic. It's truly a wonderful resource."

Worship resources for special days like Black History Month, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Watchnight are also included.

"The Africana Worship Book offers high-quality resources that help revitalize and renew Africana congregations and, indeed, all faith communities," said the Rev. Karen Greenwaldt, top executive of the United Methodist Board of Discipleship.

The Rev. Valerie Bridgeman Davis, who teaches preaching and worship and Hebrew Bible at Memphis Theological Seminary, was the book's general editor, and the Rev. Safiyah Fosua, director of invitational preaching ministries at the Board of Discipleship, was associate editor.

The Rev. William B. McClain of Wesley Theological Seminary wrote the foreword. In addition to the editors, contributors to this collection are the Rev. Eugene Blair, Carolyn Dandridge, the Rev. Joseph Daniels, the Rev. Junius Dotson, Catrina Harrison, the Rev. Sherrie Dobbs Johnson, the Rev. Kwasi Kena, Toni Payne, Tony Peterson, Ciona Rouse, the Rev. Lillian Smith, the Rev. Marilyn Thornton, the Rev. Tim Warner and Stacey Cole Wilson.

For more information about The Africana Worship Book, visit www.africanaworship.org or contact Safiyah Fosua at (877) 899-2780, Ext. 7084.

*Pinkston is director of media relations for the United Methodist Board of Discipleship.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.