From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UNITED CHURCH SAYS NO TO REOPENING DEBATE OVER SAME-SEX MARRIAGE

From "Broadhurst, Tom" <tbroadhu@united-church.ca>
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:28:11 -0400

For Immediate Release -- Tuesday, October 24, 2006

UNITED CHURCH SAYS NO TO REOPENING DEBATE OVER SAME-SEX MARRIAGE IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS

Toronto: During a week when religious leaders opposed to same-sex marriage are gathering on Parliament Hill to advocate for the reopening of the debate on Bill C-38, The United Church of Canada is again speaking out in defence of the existing legislation.

In a letter to all Members of Parliament, and during a visit today to Parliament Hill, the United Church's Moderator, the Right Rev. David Giuliano, is delivering the message that parliamentarians should vote against reopening the debate on same-sex marriage.

Giuliano says that the current Civil Marriage Act strikes a good balance by protecting the rights of gay and lesbian persons, while not interfering with the rights of religious groups to practice their faith as they choose.

"To reopen the debate and deny the right to equal marriage would be a violation of the religious freedom of faith communities, such as ours, who wish to recognize same-sex marriage as part of their religious practice," writes the Moderator.

He adds that, as Canada's largest Protestant denomination, "we are speaking against the reopening of Bill C-38 in affirmation of our support for same-sex marriage and religious rights and freedom. We speak as a religious institution that has successfully implemented religious rights and same-sex marriage."

Giuliano says Bill C-38 extends equal marriage across Canada, recognizes the protection of religious freedom that the Charter provides, and harmonizes the laws that now exist across the country with respect to equal civil marriage for same-sex couples.

He also says Bill C-38 reflects theological values in keeping with the United Church's understanding that all people are created in the image of God.

"It is our understanding that God's intention for all relationships is that they be faithful, responsible, just, loving, health-giving, healing, and sustaining of community and self. These standards apply to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples," says Giuliano. "The United Church recognizes that gay and lesbian members of our faith communities want to make lifelong commitments and have these commitments recognized in their faith communities. They seek to make their solemn vows with communities of faith who will support them in their commitments."

For further information or to arrange media interviews, please contact:

Mary-Frances Denis Communications Officer The United Church of Canada 416-231-7680 ext. 2016 (office)

--30--