From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA task force reviews responses on draft of social statement on education

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:33:48 -0500

ELCA News Blog

October 26, 2006

ELCA task force reviews responses on draft of social statement on education

by Melissa Ramirez Cooper, ELCA News Service

The Task Force on Education of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) met Oct. 22-23 in Chicago to review responses concerning "Our Calling in Education: A First Draft of a Social Statement." Issued by ELCA Church in Society, the 63-page document was made available to the church for study and response prior to Oct. 15. Since March, 48 hearings were held in 40 of the 65 synods of the ELCA.

"The purpose of the (task force) meeting was to review the reports from public hearings on the draft social statement as well as personal comments that have been received. We discussed ways in which the comments and suggestions might strengthen or alter the document. Various research and writing assignments were agreed upon as we initiate work on the final draft of the statement," said Paul J. Dovre, former president, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn., and task force co-chair. "The task force senses strong interest in and support for the document," he said.

The task force will develop its final version of a proposed social statement on education by early 2007 for consideration by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly, Aug. 6-12, 2007 in Chicago. Adopted by ELCA churchwide assemblies, social statements are social policy documents that address significant social issues. The 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly called for a social statement on education. The task force, first assembled in 2003, produced an 82-page booklet, "Our Calling in Education: A Lutheran Study" to assist the church in its study of the issues throughout 2005.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog