From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopal Women's Caucus hosts meeting in Washington

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:17:23 -0500

Episcopal News Service November 2, 2006

Episcopal Women's Caucus hosts meeting in Washington

[ENS] The board of Episcopal Women's Caucus (EWC) is among the several organizations meeting in Washington, D.C. November 2 and 3 in advance of the investiture and seating of Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori.

The Caucus celebrated its 35th anniversary on October 30, and its board will be meeting with a consultant November 2 and 3 at the Diocese of Washington's Church House to set goals for the next triennium, and to celebrate the new ministry of the first female primate in the Anglican Communion. Caucus members will be seen around Washington with their trademark pink "It's a girl!" buttons with the name and date of the election of Jefferts Schori.

"It is an amazing occasion for those of us who have labored on behalf of women," said the Rev. Canon Carol Cole Flanagan, who served as EWC president from 1983-1988, in a news release. "When I took office in 1983 most members of the Caucus identified themselves as refugees from the various dioceses that would not ordain them, and there were no ordained women on the Presiding Bishop's staff and few in positions of leadership. We were still struggling for the election and appointment of lay women as well."

Since that time the EWC has celebrated the election of Pamela Chinnis as vice president and subsequently president of the House of Deputies, the election and consecration of Barbara C. Harris as Suffragan Bishop of Massachusetts and the first female bishop in the Anglican Communion, and Vermont Bishop (now retired) Mary Adelia McLeod as the first female diocesan bishop in the U.S.

"This year deputy Bonnie Anderson of Michigan was elected President of the House of Deputies, and another glass ceiling has given way with the election as Presiding Bishop of Katharine Jefferts Schori," noted the Rev. Elizabeth M. Kaeton, current president of the EWC.

Full story and photograph:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79176_ENG_HTM.htm