From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Episcopal Migration Ministries set for annual meeting in Los Angeles

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:50:07 -0500

Episcopal News Service November 15, 2006

Episcopal Migration Ministries set for annual meeting in Los Angeles

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] The annual national conference of Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM) is set for November 15-17, in Los Angeles, California. Approximately 120 affiliate staff and friends of EMM from across the country will gather under the theme "Keeping Faith in an Age of Fear" for "some business and some visioning."

The challenges of welcoming refugees and immigrants in a political and social climate that is increasingly inhospitable to them and recommitting to the church's ministry with the uprooted will be addressed during the two-and-a-half-day gathering.

"The main purpose for the gathering is to provide training," said Deborah Stein, EMM program manager. "But we are also coming together for the fellowship and interaction among colleagues."

According to Stein, case workers, new staff and directors will receive training in a "broad spectrum" of areas.

"We will provide training in everything from meeting the basic requirements of our federal contracts, to case management, to developing boards of directors and assessing the strengths of organizations," said Stein.

The conference will also provide an opportunity for attendees to hear from and speak with representatives of the U.S. Department of State, the Office of Refugee Resettlement and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79714_ENG_HTM.htm