From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

The United Church of Canada Says Bill C-9 Handcuffs Judges

From "Broadhurst, Tom" <tbroadhu@united-church.ca>
Date Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:43:47 -0500

For Immediate Release -- Wednesday, November 15, 2006

THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA SAYS BILL C-9 HANDCUFFS JUDGES

"When we observe that justice is being eroded and laws reduced to punishment, we believe we must speak out," writes United Church Moderator David Giuliano.

Toronto: The United Church of Canada is calling on the Canadian government to withdraw legislation to amend Canada's Criminal Code because, says the church, "Bill C-9 plays only to people's fears."

"The proposed legislation to curtail conditional sentencing will hurt real people and real communities," says the United Church's Moderator, the Right Rev. David Giuliano. "We are committed to justice that serves the community and concerned about the reactionary and simplistic premise of Bill C-9, a bill that effectively handcuffs judges."

In a letter sent to all members of the House of Commons and the Senate, Giuliano writes, "We believe that Bill C-9-which denies access to conditional sentencing for the 160 offences that carry a maximum of 10 years-is poorly designed. It plays to the sound and fury audience, but signifies next to nothing. It does not contribute to safer communities, allow for rehabilitation of the offender, or redress the victim."

Heather Macdonald is The United Church of Canada's program coordinator for restorative justice. She explains that in many of the church's outreach ministries across Canada, the United Church has witnessed positive results from the discretionary application of conditional sentences.

Macdonald adds that the United Church believes sanctions should fit the circumstances of the crime, the offender, and the victim. She says that sentencing should adhere to five goals: denouncing, deterring, separating, victim redress, and rehabilitation.

"As a church, we have always felt that the last two deserve prime consideration and offer the greatest promise to the community," says Macdonald. "If judicial discretion is removed and sentencing reduced to incarceration, the only sector to benefit is the penal industry. Justice is not served by construction of correctional empires or by automatic, simplistic responses. Separated communities are not safer communities."

For further information, or to arrange media interviews, please contact:

Mary-Frances Denis Communications Officer The United Church of Canada 416-231-7680 ext. 2016 (office)

--30--