From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: General Board Votes To Market Mission Center Building

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:00:13 -0500

ORLANDO, FL (ABNS 11/17/06)―The General Board of American Baptist Churches USA voted on Tuesday to put the denomination's Mission Center property in Valley Forge, Pa., on the market, with the proviso that any buyer allow ABCUSA and its tenants three to five years to work out new accommodations.

The board's vote, at its meeting here, was nearly unanimous, with 72 yes votes and one abstention. There were no votes against the proposal. Board President Arlee Griffin, Jr., emphasized that the vote was only "to market" the headquarters building and land, and that further board action would be required to actually sell the property.

The decision came after extensive study indicating that marketing the property makes sense financially as well as in terms of the denomination's main mission. The Mission Center, with its distinctive 'doughnut' shape, was built in 1962 and has been an iconic symbol for the 1.5-million member denomination.

Over time, with downsizing of the headquarters operations and staff, some 50 percent of its space has been rented to tenants. While occupancy is nearly 100 percent, board members were told that the property returns only about 2 percent as an investment.

"Much energy and resources go into keeping the building leased and lessees satisfied," General Secretary A. Roy Medley told the board. "We are not in the rental business, but the business of mission.

"It has served us well for many years. But the question is how do we best serve the future.

"In this time of transition for all denominations in our culture, to let go of this symbol is a dramatic sign of our opening ourselves to the new thing God is doing in our midst."

Putting the property on the market had been recommended in September by the General Board Executive Committee following extensive study.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/