From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] All Africa Conference of Churches in solidarity with the Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:32:26 -0800

PRESS RELEASE

From: "Information & Communication" <infodesk@aacc-ceta.org

All Africa Conference of Churches in solidarity with the Kyoto Protocol on Climate Change

It has been brought to our attention that the Washington based Institutions namely, Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT), and the National Center for Public Policy Research brought children from the slums of Nairobi to the AACC premises in order to undermine the agenda of the UN's COP12 conference on Climate Change with regard to the Kyoto Protocol.

It is further alleged that they held a candlelight protest at our premises without the authority and consent of the organizers of the Conference. The AACC wishes to distant itself from their actions. The AACC in solidarity with the agenda on Climate Change affirms the Kyoto Protocol for the well being of the people of Africa and the world. In this regard we have provided hospitality to civil society organizations in the continent to exhibit their activities at our premises as a witness of the significance of Climate Change to humanity. It is sad indeed that the CFACT and the public policy center of Washington DC have abused this privilege by engaging in activities which not only confuse issues on Climate Change but also propagate false messages with impunity.

We therefore categorically disassociate ourselves from the actions of these organizations as reported in the Daily Nation of November 15th 2006. We request the two organizations to further desist from issuing statements and carrying out activities of such nature within our premises.

Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala General Secretary. All Africa Conference of Churches