From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Virginia Nominating Committee announces five nominees for bishop coadjutor

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:14:27 -0500

Episcopal News Service November 18, 2006

Virginia Nominating Committee announces five nominees for bishop coadjutor

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] Three men and two women have been nominated to stand for election to succeed the Rt. Rev. Peter Lee as bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia (http://thediocese.net).

The election will take place January 27 at the diocese's 212th Annual Council meeting in Richmond. On January 27, 2006, Lee told the annual Council that he planned to retire by 2010 and called for the election of a coadjutor. His successor is due to be consecrated on May 26, 2007 at Washington National Cathedral.

The nominees, announced November 18, are:

* the Rev. Dr. Robert S. Dannals (http://www.virginiabishop.info/dannals.php), 60, rector, Christ Church, Greenville, South Carolina, Diocese of Upper South Carolina;

* the Rev. Canon Gay Clark Jennings (http://www.virginiabishop.info/jennings.php), 55, associate director, CREDO Institute Inc., Memphis, Tennessee;

* the Very Rev. Shannon Sherwood Johnston, (http://www.virginiabishop.info/johnston.php), 48, rector, All Saints' Episcopal Church, Tupelo, Mississippi, Diocese of Mississippi;

* the Rev. Canon Erwin Morgan Lewis, Jr. (http://www.virginiabishop.info/lewis.php), 54, Canon to the Ordinary, Diocese of Southern Virginia; and

* the Very Rev. Caroline Smith Parkinson (http://www.virginiabishop.info/parkinson.php), 63, rector, Grace Church, The Plains, Virginia, Diocese of Virginia.

"This field of nominees is exceptionally strong," said Lee in an announcement posted on the diocese's bishop-search website (http://www.virginiabishop.info), "and I congratulate the Nominating Committee on providing the Council delegates with a difficult choice. It is clear that whoever is chosen will be exceptionally well qualified to lead this diocese in a time of transition, when a number of difficult issues face the Episcopal Church, not only here in Virginia but nationally, and within the worldwide Anglican Communion."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79828_ENG_HTM.htm