From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

First joint meeting of WARC and LWF governing bodies (English and German)

From "Karin Wisniewski" <kaw@warc.ch>
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:14:33 +0100

This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may want to consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands how to properly handle MIME multipart messages.

--=__Part25010C99.351__ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 20 November 2006

First Joint Meeting of WARC and LWF Governing Bodies

Future of Ecumenical Assemblies Is of Crucial Importance for Conciliar Ecumenism in the 21st century CHAVANNES-DE-BOGIS, Switzerland, 20 November 2006 * The Officers of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) and the Executive Committee of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), holding their meetings in the course of overlapping days, met for the first time in joint sessions on Saturday 18 November 2006. Discussions during the meeting at Chavannes-de-Bogis near Geneva, focused on the present status of Lutheran-Reformed relations around the world, on various areas of shared challenges and cooperation, and on the new Joint Consultative Commission between the Christian world communions (CWCs) and the World Council of Churches (WCC). Their agenda deliberations also included the issue of future ecumenical assemblies and the possible coordination of meetings of the governing bodies of the WCC and the CWCs=92 governing bodies. The joint meeting of the WARC Officers and the LWF Executive Committee was co-chaired by the presidents of the two communions, Rev. Dr Clifton Kirkpatrick, (Presbyterian Church, [USA]), and Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The WARC Officers, including some members of the WARC Executive Committee, held their regular meeting at the John Knox International Reformed Center, Geneva, from 13 to 18 November. The LWF Executive Committee met from 18 to 20 November at Chavannes-de-Bogis. Regarding future global assemblies, the joint LWF and WARC bodies agreed that the future of ecumenical assemblies is a matter of crucial importance for conciliar ecumenism in the 21st century. They stated that there was an urgent need for a new type of assemblies in which the broad, multilateral nature of the ecumenical movement is expressed more substantially. They said there was a need for such assemblies to be a place =93where representa tives of churches, CWCs and church agencies for mission and development can process a commonly developed agenda, and where CWCs that have no relationship with the WCC at present might also be represented.=94

The LWF and WARC representatives strongly recommended that the first such new type of ecumenical assembly be considered to take place in 2013. They also urged the WCC to prepare for a decision in principle on this matter at the next meeting of the WCC Central Committee in 2008, and asked that their two general secretaries discuss the issue as soon as convenient with the WCC general secretary.

Both governing bodies considered that after 2010, =93the LWF and WARC would no longer hold global assemblies of their own, given a satisfactory development in this area.=94

WARC President Kirkpatrick said, =93We celebrate the growing unity we find among Reformed and Lutheran Christians and leave this historic meeting with great hope that our organizations will be able to strengthen one another and the church ecumenical to bring justice to a our world today.=94

Commenting on the meeting=92s outcome, LWF President Hanson said, =93We give thanks to God for this significant conversation as together with WARC we have strengthened our relationship with one another within the context of our shared commitment to ecumenism and to working for justice, peace and reconciliation.=94

=93I thank God for this meeting which was a particularly significant event in the life of the church. I am happy that both Lutheran and Reformed representatives expressed a commitment to our common witness and action for justice and peace as it is lived out daily in many regions of the world. I hope and pray our meeting today inspires an even greater commitment to work together for life in fullness for all,=94 noted WARC General Secretary Rev. Dr Setri Nyomi.

The LWF General Secretary, Rev. Dr Ishmael Noko described the meeting as =93a concrete translation of our mutual commitment to the search for visible unity. This meeting will give energy to our constituencies.=94

The full text is attached.

*** 20. November 2006

Erstmals gemeinsames Treffen von LWB- und RWB-Leitungsgremien

Zukunft =F6kumenischer Vollversammlungen von entscheidender Bedeutung f=FCr die konziliare =D6kumene im 21. Jahrhundert

Chavannes-de-Bogis (Schweiz), 20. November 2006 (LWI) * Die Amtstr=E4gerInn en des Reformierten Weltbundes (RWB) sowie die Mitglieder des Exekutivkomit ees des Lutherischen Weltbundes (LWB) sind am Samstag, 18. November, erstmals zu gemeinsamen Sitzungen zusammengetroffen. Die Gespr=E4che konzentrierten sich auf den derzeitigen Stand der lutherisch-reformierten Beziehungen weltweit, auf verschiedene gemeinsame Herausforderungen und Bereiche der Zusammenarbeit, die neue gemeinsame Beratungskommission der weltweiten christlichen Gemeinschaften (CWCs) und des =D6kumenischen Rates der Kirchen (=D6RK), zuk=FCnftige =F6kumenische Vollversammlungen und die m=F6gliche Koordination von Tagungen der Leitungsgremien von =D6RK und CWCs.

Den Vorsitz der gemeinsamen Sitzung, die in Chavannes-de-Bogis (Schweiz) in der N=E4he von Genf stattfand, teilten sich die Pr=E4sidenten beider Kirchengemeinschaften, RWB-Pr=E4sident Pfr. Dr. Clifton Kirkpatrick von der Presbyterianischen Kirche (USA) und LWB-Pr=E4sident Bischof Mark S. Hanson, Leitender Bischof der Evangelisch-Lutherischen Kirche in Amerika. Beide Leitungsgremien tagten mit zeitlicher =DCberschneidung. Die RWB-Amtstr=E4gerInnen sowie weitere Mitglieder des Exekutivausschusses des RWB tagten vom 13. bis 18. November in Genf. Das 13-k=F6pfige LWB- Exekutivkomitee kam vom 18. bis 20. November in Chavannes-de-Bogis zusammen.

Die Amtstr=E4gerInnen des RWB und das Exekutivkomitee des LWB erkl=E4ren im Blick auf zuk=FCnftige globale Vollversammlungen, dass die Zukunft =F6kumenischer Vollversammlungen von entscheidender Bedeutung f=FCr die konziliare =D6kumene im 21. Jahrhundert sei. Es sei daher dringend notwendig, *neuartige Vollversammlungen zu konzipieren, die die Weite und Multilateralit=E4t der =F6kumenischen Bewegung konkreter zum Ausdruck bringen, in deren Rahmen VertreterInnen von Kirchen, weltweiten christliche n Gemeinschaften und kirchlichen Missions- und Entwicklungsorganisationen eine gemeinsam erstellte Tagesordnung bearbeiten und die weltweiten christlichen Gemeinschaften, die gegenw=E4rtig nicht in Beziehung zum =D6RK stehen, ebenfalls vertreten sein k=F6nnten.=93

Es wurde nachdr=FCcklich empfohlen, die Ausrichtung einer ersten solchen neuartigen =F6kumenischen Vollversammlung f=FCr das Jahr 2013 ins Auge zu fassen. Zus=E4tzlich wurde der =D6RK aufgefordert, eine Grundsatzentscheidu ng dieser Frage bei der n=E4chsten =D6RK-Zentralausschusstagung im Jahr 2008 vorzubereiten. Die beiden Generalsekret=E4re von LWB und RWB wurden beauftragt, diese Fragestellung, sobald sich die M=F6glichkeit hierf=FCr bietet, mit dem =D6RK-Generalsekret=E4r zu er=F6rtern.

Beide Leitungsgremien brachten zum Ausdruck, dass sie davon ausgingen, dass LWB und RWB nach 2010 keine eigenen globalen Vollversammlungen mehr durchf=FChren, sofern in diesem Bereich eine zufrieden stellende Entwicklun g zu beobachten sei.

Im Anschluss an das Treffen betonte LWB-Pr=E4sident Hanson: *Wir danken Gott f=FCr die bedeutenden Gespr=E4che, in denen der RWB und wir im Kontext unserer gemeinsamen Verpflichtung auf die =D6kumene und das Engagement f=FCr Gerechtigkeit, Frieden und Vers=F6hnung unsere Beziehungen gest=E4rkt haben.=93

RWB-Pr=E4sident Kirkpatrick erkl=E4rte: *Wir empfinden grosse Freude =FCber die wachsende Einheit, die unter reformierten und lutherischen Christinnen und Christen sp=FCrbar ist, und beenden dieses historische Treffen voller Hoffnung, dass unsere Organisationen f=E4hig sein werden, einander und die gesamte =D6kumene zu st=E4rken, damit wir unserer Welt Gerechtigkeit bringen.=93

Als eine *Konkretion unseres gemeinsamen Willens zum Streben nach sichtbarer Einheit=93, bewertete LWB-Generalsekret=E4r Pfr. Dr. Ishmael Noko das Treffen. *Es wird unseren Kirchenfamilien neue Energie geben.=93

Laut RWB-Generalsekret=E4r Pfr. Dr. Setri Nyomi war die gemeinsame Sitzung ein *Ereignis von besonderer Bedeutung im Leben der Kirche. Ich freue mich, dass lutherische und reformierte Teilnehmende gleichermassen ihre Verpflichtung auf das gemeinsame Zeugnis und Handeln f=FCr Gerechtigkeit und Frieden zum Ausdruck gebracht haben, wie es in vielen Weltreligionen t=E4glich gelebt wird.=93 Er hoffe, dass das Treffen den Anstoss geben werde zu einem *noch gr=F6sseren gemeinsamen Engagement zur Verwirklichung eines Lebens in F=FClle f=FCr alle Menschen=93, so Nyomi. (554 W=F6rter)

Den vollen Wortlaut des Kommuniqu=E9s ist beigef=FCgt.

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 215 churches in 107 countries * united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC=92s secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch

--=__Part25010C99.351__=--