From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 682-Prison ministry brings 'brothers in Christ' together

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:09:17 -0600

Prison ministry brings 'brothers in Christ' together

Nov. 20, 2006

NOTE: Photographs and audio available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (UMNS)--Jim Reinhardt recognizes a brother in Christ when he sees one--even if that brother is behind prison bars.

Reinhardt's friendship with Jay C. Van Scoy started three years ago when he was visiting Kilby Correctional Facility as part of a prison ministry team from Frazer United Methodist Church, Montgomery, Ala.

"You can see in someone's eyes and in their actions . . . there's certain things that let you know they're your brother in Christ and it's not just make believe to get outside (of prison)," Reinhardt says. While some prisoners come to church "so they can make their record look good," he adds, "Jay, he was part of the praise and worship team - it was all a Jesus thing with him."

Van Scoy was in prison for first-degree robbery and was coming up for parole for the fifth time when Reinhardt and a few others from Frazer spoke before the parole board on his behalf.

Van Scoy is now a faithful member of the choir at Frazer and is "excited about what God is doing" in his life.

"God looked down and saw something that I always considered nothing and he is not through with me yet," Van Scoy says. "I just know God is going to put it all back together for me."

No 'jail house' religion

Reinhardt has been volunteering in prison ministry for the past 12 years. He is part of a team that visits Kilby Tuesday nights to share their testimony and give the prisoners a "road to Jesus."

Van Scoy was at Kilby for three years and sang with the prison's praise and worship band. It was his "gifted voice" that drew Reinhardt to him. "When he sang it just brought tears to my eyes," he says.

The chapel at the prison holds about 200 people. "God is at work in that chapel-it's not just jail house religion," Reinhardt says.

Beautiful brothers

"Mr. Jim is a beautiful brother," says Van Scoy. "I really see now that the Lord put us together. I didn't know what he was doing then but he was placing a friend in the Lord there in my life."

Reinhardt's son, Mike, has given Van Scoy at job at the family's car dealership. "He sings bass and I sing tenor in the church choir," he says. "He does great."

Members of Frazer have taken Van Scoy under their wings and are helping him to stay on the right track.

"I am trying to get my life in back in order, after you have been in prison for so long--18 years and some months--you really have had a major setback," he explains. "You get out and you are kind of paranoid in a sense, you don't know what is going on, things have changed. These brothers have been mentors and support for me to lead and guide me in right way. I am just happy to be with such people."

Van Scoy, who used to have a cocaine addiction, remembers one night soon after he was released when some members of Frazer gave him "a love offering" of $300.

"I counted the money and something just overwhelmed me and I had to cry. I remember a time when as fast as I got money that's how fast I would spend it and go get cocaine." He realized he had no desire for drugs "and it just brought tears to my eyes, I wept bitterly. I can't express in words how good God has been to me."

Open hearts

Van Scoy was able to let the congregation know how much he appreciated their help recently when he sang a solo with the church choir. "Everyone was moved," said the Rev. John Ed Mathison, pastor of Frazer.

According to Reinhardt and Van Scoy, the congregation at Frazer has opened their arms and hearts to the former inmate.

Some see prisoners as "thrown away people," Reinhardt says. "When you see Jesus come into their lives, and see them have a hunger to lead others to Jesus, it just fills your heart with joy."

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.