From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Teaching: Ecumenical leadership conference for young adults / Catalyst: Poems for Advent

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:39:46 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, November 21, 2006.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm *Today in History: On this day 1850, the cornerstone of St. John's in Pine Meadow, Connecticut, was laid. http://www.reddoors.com/parish_history.htm

- - -

Diocesan Digest

FORT WORTH: Diocese withdraws from Province VII, adopts procedure for parishes to leave Anglican Communion Network http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79856_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

World Report

ENGLAND: Lambeth Conference preparations continue; spouses announce program plans http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79861_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Teaching: Ecumenical leadership conference for young adults set for New Orleans

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] Young Episcopalians will be among nearly 1,200 college and university students attending an ecumenical leadership conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, December 28, 2006 - January 1, 2007.

Meeting under the theme "Celebrate! At the River: Waters of Faith.Deltas of Change" at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside, participants will join with others to share their faith and to understand better their call as Jesus' followers in times of crisis, distress and injustice.

Planning for the fifth Celebrate gathering began two years ago with a team of 12 students.

"It was meetings, meetings and more meetings," said Alexandra Sutton, a member of the Episcopal Student Leadership Team (ESLT), whose main charge was to design and facilitate the gathering of Episcopal students at Celebrate. "We would try to do a lot of individual work during the school year and then come together a few times a year to just touch base, make decisions, and talk about what needed to be done."

Sutton, 20, a sophomore at Howard University and a member of the Church of the Holy Trinity, in Baltimore, Maryland, said the experience had really pushed her "to grow in my love of God and my fellow Christians. Ecumenical work is always a challenge, but seeing how people can come together to overcome their differences in the pursuit of one goal is an incredible spiritual experience."

The Rev. Douglas Fenton, staff officer for the Episcopal Church's Office of Young Adult and Higher Educational Ministries, said the students decided to hold the event in New Orleans well before the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

"New Orleans was chosen because we were going to talk about baptism," he said. "Hence the theme, the students were going to take a river boat and talk about the one thing that we hold in common as a place where it sort of empties out into the Gulf."

The theme, he said, remained unchanged because "it is this life-giving water that caused a lot of the destruction, but it is also the life that gives back life in terms of our baptism."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79863_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "Run, Shepherds, Run" from Morehouse Publishing, by L. William Countryman, 100 pages, paperback, c. 2005, $11.95

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] -- The Advent season is filled with rich themes that have fascinated poets. In Run, Shepherds, Run, Bill Countryman presents a poem a day for devotional reading during Advent and the twelve days of Christmas. Readers will find classic poets they know and love, including George Herbert, John Donne, Christina Rossetti, Emily Dickinson, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson, as well as contemporary poets, known and unknown.

Run, Shepherds, Run includes helpful hints for reading poetry, for those who have less experience reading it than others, as well as useful annotations to help readers with older language that may not have easily apparent meanings for today's readers.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.