From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jesus' Birth Shows God's Saving Will and Desire for Reconciliation and Peace

From "Frank Imhoff" <Frank.Imhoff@elca.org>
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:41:59 -0600

Jesus' Birth Shows God's Saving Will and Desire for Reconciliation and Peace Christmas Message from LWF President Mark Hanson

GENEVA, 24 November 2006 (LWI) - Bishop Mark S. Hanson, president of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) affirms in his 2006 Christmas Message that God visited the world in the miracle of Bethlehem 2,000 years ago. "Held in Mary's arms that night was the revelation of steadfast, unbounded love for all humanity. The birth of Jesus disclosed God's saving will and eternal desire for reconciliation and peace," says Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

In his message addressed to the worldwide Lutheran communion of churches, the LWF president, however, points out that as Christians gather to celebrate Christ's birth, the sounds of discord and difficulties can be heard throughout the world. He cites divisions caused by walls of separation; the struggle for survival amidst disasters, devastation, hunger, and poverty; the dread of rampant disease and the spread of HIV and AIDS; and the threat of war, even with nuclear weapons, among other concerns.

But the angel is heard saying, "Do not be afraid," and those who believe realize that they are never alone. "We have been claimed by God and made a part of the household of faith," Hanson stresses in his Christmas message. (216 words)

The full text of the 2006 Christmas Message from the LWF President follows. It is also available in PDF version on the LWF Web site at: http://www.lutheranworld.org/LWF_Documents/LWF_Christmas_2006.pdf

2006 Christmas Message from the LWF President

Sisters and brothers throughout the worldwide Lutheran communion of churches:

"The Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory... (John 1:14)."

We live in a visited world. On that holy night twenty centuries ago, God visited the world in the miracle of Bethlehem. Held in Mary's arms that night was the revelation of steadfast, unbounded love for all humanity. The birth of Jesus disclosed God's saving will and eternal desire for reconciliation and peace.

In this season of Christmas, we encounter again Jesus, sent from God for our salvation. As the Word is proclaimed in both simple buildings and cathedrals of grandeur, we receive the good news of God?s love in Christ Jesus for the whole earth. We witness the mystery of rebirth in the waters of baptism and rejoice as the community of faith embraces new ones. As bread is broken and wine poured in the Eucharist, we give thanks for the real presence of Christ in our midst.

We gather with the whole Church for the celebration of our Lord?s Nativity. In our gathering, however, we hear the sounds of discord throughout the world. From divisions caused by walls of separation, from the struggles of many for survival from disasters, devastation, hunger, and poverty, from the dread of rampant disease and the spread of HIV and AIDS, from war and the threat of war, even with nuclear weapons, from broken relationships in homes and hostilities within communities and countries, we seek rescue. We yearn for the gracious, healing, and reconciling Word of the Prince of Peace.

We hear the angel say, "Do not be afraid." With that message of courage, we realize as believers that we are never alone. We have been claimed by God and made a part of the household of faith.

So we lift our voices with renewed hope throughout the communion of the Lutheran World Federation. In so doing, we join the grand anthem: Joy to the world, the Lord is come! Let earth receive her king...

In God's grace,

Bishop Mark S. Hanson President, The Lutheran World Federation

November 2006

* * *

(The LWF is a global communion of Christian churches in the Lutheran tradition. Founded in 1947 in Lund, Sweden, the LWF currently has 140 member churches in 78 countries all over the world, with a total membership of 66.2 million. The LWF acts on behalf of its member churches in areas of common interest such as ecumenical and interfaith relations, theology, humanitarian assistance, human rights, communication, and the various aspects of mission and development work. Its secretariat is located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the LWF?s information service. Unless specifically noted, material presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the notation (LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

* * *

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION

LWI news online: http://www.lutheranworld.org/News/Welcome.EN.html

LUTHERAN WORLD INFORMATION P. O. Box 2100 CH-1211 Geneva 2 Switzerland

Tel.: +41/22-791 63 69 Fax: +41/22-791 66 30 Editor?s E-Mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org