From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC taps Methodist administrator for top finance job

From "NCC News" <nccnews@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:34:40 -0500

NCC taps Methodist administrator for top finance job

New York City, Nov. 27, 2006--Clare J. Chapman is set to become the new Deputy General Secretary for Administration and Finance at the National Council of Churches USA. She will assume her duties in January. Her selection was approved by the Governing Board and affirmed by the General Assembly of the NCC and Church World Service at its meeting earlier this month in Orlando.

Chapman is no stranger to the NCC. She has served on several committees, commissions and task forces for the past six years. Currently Chapman serves the United Methodist Church's General Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns as its associate general secretary for program and administration, a position she has held since 2003. She has held several administrative positions for the Methodist agency for 19 years.

"We couldn't be happier," said the Rev. Bob Edgar, general secretary of the NCC. "Clare has been a real leader on our administration and finance committee helping us through the loss of her predecessor, Leora Landmesser. The transition has been made much easier by Clare." Landmesser died of cancer earlier this year.

"I look forward to opportunities where I can participate with my new colleagues to support and enhance the programmatic focus of the council, provide further financial resources to enable its programs, and assist in the transitions that will come over the next year or so," said Chapman. "I'm very happy to be part of the staff leadership at the Council and look forward to working on behalf of the member churches of the NCC to attain the goals they hold as important."

Chapman has extensive ecumenical and interfaith experience. She has twice been an advisor to the United Methodist delegation to the World Methodist Council. Currently she serves the World Council of Churches' board of the U.S. conference. This year Chapman was a member of the first official United Methodist delegation to the Vatican for discussions on Christian unity.

"My work has always been ecumenical, even though on behalf of the United Methodist Church and with significant denominational involvement," said Chapman. "I have been enriched by the many colleagues and friends I have in the UMC at many levels and look forward to deeper relationships within the NCC family of churches also. I am an ecumenist, [and] a United Methodist Christian," she said.

Chapman holds four academic degrees. She received her Juris Doctor from New York Law School, a Master of Music from the University of Arizona, and two Bachelor of Arts degrees from the University of Central Florida, one in music and one in English.

"The most effective organizations have strong collaboration between program and administration," said Chapman. "It is a fact that every budget is a mission statement! It is my hope that working with my colleagues at the council we can be more fully integrated as we work together in the future."

The NCC is America's ecumenical voice of 35 Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, historic African American, and traditional peace churches who represent 45 million faithful in 100,000 congregations.

----

Latest NCC News at www.councilofchurches.org.

NCC News contact: Dan Webster, 212.870.2252, dwebster@ncccusa.org.