From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Diocesan Digest / People / Jesus: Religious Revolutionary

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 1 Dec 2006 02:31:24 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Thursday, November 30, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Saint Andrew the Apostle.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm *Today in History: On this day in 1170, Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas a Becket returned from a six-year exile in France for his opposition to the policies of Henry II. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Becket

- - -

Diocesan Digest

FORT WORTH: Diocese withdraws from Province VII, adopts procedure for parishes to leave Anglican Communion Network http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79856_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTHEAST FLORIDA: Convention emphasizes social outreach ministries http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79876_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

World Report

ENGLAND: Academics support new Animal Ethics Centre at Oxford http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80000_ENG_HTM.htm

GAZA: Episcopalians aid Gaza hospital

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80003_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

People

Douglas Travis named seventh dean of Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79791_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary" from HarperCollins Publishers, by Marcus J. Borg, 343 pages, hardcover, c. 2006, $24.95

[Source: HarperCollins Publishers] -- Almost two thousand years after his death, Jesus continues to be front-page news in the United States. Recent polls show that over 84 percent of Americans agree with the statement, "Jesus is the Son of God." From Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ to Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code to the mega-selling apocalyptic Left Behind series, we remain haunted by Jesus.

Yet American Christians are deeply divided about what it means to follow him. Many followers of Jesus oppose evolution; many defend it. Some are among the strongest supporters of our nation's invasions and wars; others are among its strongest critics. Followers of Jesus can be found among the strongest opponents of gay-marriage, as well as among its strongest advocates.

Leading Bible scholar Marcus Borg takes us on an incredible journey to discover who Jesus was, what he taught, and why he still matters today. In the definitive book of his career, Borg argues that how we see Jesus affects how we see Christianity and reveals a new way of seeing -- a new perspective that can overcome the differences between the literalists and progressives, a path that emphasizes following "the way" of Jesus, the original name of the Jesus movement.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.