From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] In China, Taiwan bishop shares 'harmonious' message on first official visit

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:11:49 -0500

Episcopal News Service December 1, 2006

In China, Taiwan bishop shares 'harmonious' message on first official visit

By Matthew Davies

[ENS] Bishop David J. H. Lai of Taiwan paid his first official visit to mainland China this week, meeting with State officials in Beijing, exchanging information with new friends in Nanjing and Shanghai, and emphasizing the need for harmonious relationships, a message that motivates the country's Christian churches in its post-denominational era.

Senior representatives from the State Administration for Religious Affairs (SARA), the China Christian Council (CCC) and the Three-Self Patriotic Movement (TSPM) were among those who hosted Lai, his wife Lai Lin, and the accompanying delegation during the historic visit.

The group also visited to the celebrated 93-year-old Christian leader Bishop K. H. Ting at his Nanjing home, met with students and faculty at Nanjing Union Theological Seminary, and learned about the social outreach work of the Amity Foundation and Amity Printing Company.

Ordained in 2000 as bishop of Taiwan, one of the Episcopal Church's 10 overseas dioceses, Lai went to China with the primary objectives of educating himself, establishing relationships with the Church, and helping the wider Church develop a deeper understanding of Christianity in the country. He also informed inquiring minds about his diocese and his work as president of the National Council of Churches of Taiwan (NCCT).

"I have gained the necessary knowledge that assures me the country is trying its best to offer people freedom of religion," he said. "I have also valued the opportunity to educate people about the Church in Taiwan."

China has experienced an explosion in Christian numbers in recent years and organizations such as SARA, TSPM and CCC are instrumental in developing worship customs in the country while protecting the freedom of religious belief.

Full story and photographs:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80121_ENG_HTM.htm