From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Centre College eyes 2008 presidential debate

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:37:07 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2006/06640.htm

06640 December 4, 2006

Centre College eyes 2008 presidential debate

Presbyterian-related school tries for its second national election matchup

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE * Presbyterian-related Centre College, which played host to the vice presidential debate in 2000, is trying to bring a 2008 presidential debate to the campus in Danville, KY.

Officials announced the school’s push for a general election matchup at a festive on-campus rally and press conference Nov. 30, which featured American flags, patriotic balloons, and two students dressed as Uncle Sam.

More than 150 people, mostly students and college faculty, attended the announcement at the Norton Center for the Arts, where a five-piece brass band belted out such political staples as “Yankee Doodle.”

Centre College President John Roush spoke enthusiastically about the institution’s chances of landing one of three presidential debates to be held in 2008.

“After several encouraging conversations with officials of the Commission on Presidential Debates and consultation with Centre’s board of trustees, we believe that we are very well positioned as we begin this quest,” he said at the rally.

The 1,150-student liberal arts school, located about 30 miles southwest of Lexington, became the smallest institution in the smallest community ever to host a general election debate when it did so in 2000.

Mike Norris, director of communications, said while Centre prefers hosting a presidential debate, he wouldn’t rule out the school accepting a vice presidential debate.

He said hosting a presidential debate would cost an estimated $2 million, which Centre plans to raise through private donations.

“It would come through outside fundraising,” Norris said. “In no way would we put any of the burden of this cost on the students.”

Norris said Centre’s official proposal will be submitted by the end of March to the Commission on Presidential Debates, which organizes the debate-selection process. The University of Nevada-Reno has also reportedly announced plans to push for hosting a 2008 debate.

The commission will visit perspective venues during the summer with host sites expected to be named in September.

Centre College competed to host a 2004 presidential debate but the commission selected other sites. Centre officials believe the school is better poised now to attract a presidential debate.

About a year ago, the college completed renovations to Sutcliffe Hall, an athletic and recreation complex just a little more than 100 yards from the Norton Center for the Arts, the proposed debate site.

Sutcliffe was used as a media center for the 2000 debate and has been renovated and expanded since then. Roush said the commission indicated that great value would be placed on close proximity between the debate venue and the media center.

“Centre is one of our best colleges,” said Gary Luhr, executive director of the Association of Presbyterian Colleges and Universities. “I think they proved with the vice presidential debate in 2000 that they have the resources to be an excellent venue for that type of thing. I hope they will be successful in their effort.”