From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Teaching: Sewanee introduces high school students to college life / Catalyst

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:45:54 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, December 5, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Clement of Alexandria, priest, (c. 210).

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm *Today in History: On this day in 1484, Pope Innocent VIII issues the Summis desiderantes, a papal bull that deputizes Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger as inquisitors to root out alleged witchcraft in Germany and leads to one of the severest witch hunts in European history.

- - -

Diocesan Digest

LOS ANGELES: Convention repents discrimination, calls for environmental stewardship, full inclusion http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80182_ENG_HTM.htm

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA: Convention joins MDGs campaign, supports campus ministry http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80205_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTHWEST FLORIDA: Convention reduces giving to Episcopal Church http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80184_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

People

Michelle Gonzalez joins Episcopal Migration Ministries as program manager http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80199_ENG_HTM.htm

Yvonne McBean dies at 66

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80200_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Teaching: Sewanee's Bridge Program introduces high school students to college life

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] The Bridge Program for Math and Science at Sewanee University of the South is currently accepting applications for summer 2007.

Since 1999, the Bridge Program has offered a research-rich educational experience to 20 rising high school seniors from diverse backgrounds interested in experiencing a taste of college life and advancing themselves in science and math.

"My experience not only allowed me to evaluate whether or not I could see myself on Sewanee's campus, but it also gave me a taste of the expectations, freedoms, challenges, and joys of college life," said Sarah Cooke, a freshman at Sewanee.

Cooke participated in the program in 2005 following in the steps of her three sisters who also participated and presently attend Sewanee.

The campus at Sewanee is home to the School of Theology, one of the Episcopal Church's 11 accredited seminaries, which offers a full program to prepare men and women for ordained ministry, and education programs that prepare lay leaders and teachers for ministries in all areas of the church.

Students of the June 17-July 7 program will be taught introductory calculus and physics by Sewanee professors, using state-of-the-art equipment and computerized classrooms. Their $2,500 scholarship includes free tuition, room, and board as the selected students enjoy study and recreation on the beautiful 10,000-acre campus in mid-state Tennessee. Participants will stay in one of the residence halls, staffed by live-in college students and a head resident, who will provide supervision and guidance. The program also offers full access to the sports and fitness center, a student activities center, and miles of hiking and biking trails. A number of related field trips are planned.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80207_ENG_HTM.htm

_ _ _

Catalyst: "One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism: Studies in Christian Ecclesiality and Ecumenism in Honor of J. Robert Wright" from Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., Edited by Marsha L. Dutton and Patrick Terrell Gray, 346 pages, hardcover, c. 2006, $35

[Source: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.] -- One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism gathers 21 articles from distinguished church historians, literary historians, and ecumenists -- all written in honor of the Rev. Canon J. Robert Wright, St. Mark's Professor of Ecclesiastical History at the General Theological Seminary, who has been an inspiration to a generation of students and colleagues. Former Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold has written a foreword that complements the work of contributors such as S. W. Sykes, Richard A. Norris Jr., and George Tavard, among others. Though these articles differ in individual subject, they cohere in their relation to Wright's expertise as a theologian, a historian, a medievalist, an ecumenist, and above all a man of the church.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.