From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] PC(USA)-related Knoxville College names new president

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:29:42 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story online at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2006/06652.htm

06652

December 7, 2006

PC(USA)-related Knoxville College names new president

by Evan Silverstein

LOUISVILLE * Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)-related Knoxville College [http://www.knoxvillecollege.edu/] has tapped a longtime educator and university administrator to be the next president of the struggling historically black school in Tennessee.

Earl Glenn Yarbrough Sr., a professor of industrial education and technology at Virginia State University in Petersburg, was unanimously chosen Dec. 1 by the school's board of trustees as the next president of Knoxville College.

His most pressing task will be to restore the financial and academic health of the private four-year liberal arts college, which has experienced hard times in recent years. That effort could begin as early as next month if contract negotiations between Yarbrough and the school go well.

"This is the best holiday gift that we could have expected," board Chairman Ronald Damper said in a press release. "Knoxville College will now begin to reestablish its rightful and strong position in East Tennessee and continue to educate deserving youth for Tennessee and the nation."

Yarbrough, a Kansas native whose career in education spans more than 30 years, including stints at three historically black colleges, said he plans to work with faculty, staff, alumni, and supporters to move the institution forward.

"Working with these groups, I look forward to restoring the reputation and glory that made Knoxville College great," Yarbrough said in the press release. "There are some challenges, but none so great that we cannot overcome together. I want to thank the board of trustees and the Presidential Search Committee for their faith and confidence in my leadership."

The college's former president, Barbara R. Hatton, was fired by the board on Aug. 8, 2005, after she lost support of the trustees, students, faculty and alumni. Hatton had been elected president in 1997.

Hatton's letter of termination said she had "alienated every constituency of the college*" and had "consistently and habitually ignored and failed to carry out directives of the board."

Robert H. Harvey, a retired Knoxville College dean and former professor, has served as interim president while the board conducted its search for Hatton's replacement.

Since Hatton's departure, the board has focused on reducing debt, improving facilities, raising money and moving toward regaining accreditation, which the college lost in 1997. Administrators said as recently as July that the school owed more than $1 million.

More than 30 candidates applied for the position before the board selected Yarbrough to lead the institution, which started the fall semester with about 250 students.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for me to make a difference in lives of the current students and future students who choose Knoxville College for their higher education," Yarbrough said.

In addition to Yarbrough's academic credentials, school officials were impressed with his interpersonal skills as well. His "people skills" and ability to get along with students, faculty, staff and alumni was a reoccurring theme in interviews the college held with those submitting letters of support, the news release said.

An account of one interview noted "among his most outstanding strengths is his straightforward yet kind demeanor, the good rapport that he establishes with faculty, using a shared governance approach in decision making."

Yarbrough earned his bachelor's degree in industrial education from Wichita State University in 1969. He received a master's degree in industrial studies from California State University in Los Angeles in 1974, followed by a doctorate in sociology and higher education from Iowa State University at Ames in 1976.

He has served in administrative positions at three historically black colleges and universities: as chairman of the industrial technology department at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, as dean of the School of Technology at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University in Greensboro, and most recently as provost/vice president of academic affairs at Virginia State.

Yarbrough and his wife, Patricia, have four children: Kim, 34, Angela, 29, Del, 26, and Earl Jr., 18.

"We are delighted to have Dr. Yarbrough as the president-elect of Knoxville College and we are excited about the talent he brings to the college at this critical time," Damper said.

Knoxville College, found in 1875, is one of seven PC(USA)-related racial-ethnic schools and colleges supported through the annual Christmas Joy Offering.

"The office of Racial Ethnic Schools and Colleges is elated with the board of trustees' decision to hire Dr. Earl Yarbrough as the next president of Knoxville College," said Beneva Bibbs, the PC(USA)'s associate for racial-ethnic schools and colleges. "He has the experience and credentials to lead the institution in this new millennium."