From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline: Haitian Brethren youth reflect on counter-recruitment conference

From "COBNews Newsline" <cobnews@brethren.org>
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 15:47:52 -0600

Title: Haitian Brethren youth reflect on counter-recruitment conference Dec. 7, 2006 Church of the Brethren News Service Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford, News Director 800-323-8039 ext. 260 -- cobnews@brethren.org

HAITIAN BRETHREN YOUTH REFLECT ON COUNTER- RECRUITMENT CONFERENCE

(Dec. 7, 2006) (Elgin, IL) -- Three veterans, with experience ranging from the Vietnam era through 2004 in Iraq, had just finished sharing their experiences as part of a panel at the conference, "Counter- Recruitment: Countering Military Recruitment with Gospel Nonviolence," Nov. 3-5 in San Antonio, Texas.

Michelet Hyppolite, past president of the youth group at First Haitian Church of the Brethren in Brooklyn, N.Y., stood up in the full sanctuary of San Antonio Mennonite Church and asked his youth to stand up out of the crowd: "Sadie! David! Miolson! Josue! Stephen! Janesse!..." A group of eight or ten youth stood.

He pointed to them and asked the veterans, "What advice can you give these young people who came with me? Military recruiters are all over them. What do you want to make sure they know?"

The veterans responded that it was important that the youth learn from the experience of their elders and those who had gone before them, that they did not need to learn for themselves that war is a tragedy and leaves lifelong scars. They shared that as Christians it is important to be shaped by the gospel, not by the culture of violence. And they shared that there are real alternatives for education and job training; even if you have to look for them, it merits the effort.

Reflecting later, group member Sadie Hyppolite said, "I experienced God through the words of Conrad and the other veterans when they spoke of how they came to realize that war is not the answer. My faith was impacted in that I realized that you can truly do all things through Christ."

Michelet Hyppolite and the youth who stood with him were part of a 16- member delegation from Brooklyn, brought to the counter-recruitment conference by On Earth Peace, an agency of the Church of the Brethren.

In June, pastor Verel Montauban of First Haitian wrote to On Earth Peace, sharing that military recruitment was strong in the high schools, colleges, and local communities in New York. He wanted to find out how to get his youth group and community members active in response.

In September, Matt Guynn visited Haitian First to meet with members of the youth group. Guynn is coordinator of peace witness for On Earth Peace. There was so much interest in the issue of military recruitment that On Earth Peace offered to underwrite the cost of travel to the Texas conference so a major delegation from Brooklyn could attend.

What comes next? Next comes the Haitian congregation's own discernment about how to proceed in the Brooklyn context. On Earth Peace will work with the youth group and other congregational leaders to find and promote positive nonmilitary options for the future.

Here are some more reflections from the Haitian First delegates:

"The people who came to share their stories, I believe were sent by God. They served as living experiences and models to us as a young generation to know that our choices do have consequences," said Leunz Cadely.

"My commitment: That war is not an option. I intend to start a group and march into schools and help other teens make the right decision about joining the military," said Sandra Beauvior.

"I experienced God in learning that my body is a temple and not to be used in war. I found a commitment to peace, to speak to youth in schools and on the streets, spreading the word," said David Hyppolite.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its 300th anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford Director of News Services Church of the Brethren General Board 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120 800-323-8039 ext. 260 cobnews@brethren.org