From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] LCEF Fall Conference draws 750

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 7 Dec 2006 20:21:18 -0600

12.7.2006 LCMS News

THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

December 7, 2006 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 81

LCEF Fall Conference focus: `Serving One People Ablaze!`

By Joe Isenhower Jr.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- "This is a wonderful event," said Carol Oetting of Seward, Neb., as she sat in the meeting hall between sessions of the Lutheran Church Extension Fund's (LCEF) Fall Leadership Conference here.

Attending the annual conference for the first time, Oetting joined some 750 participants who gathered Nov. 17-19 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort under the theme "Serving One People: Ablaze! ... Fanning the Flame."

"I can truly see the Lord at work through the people here and through Ablaze!," said Oetting, administrative assistant to LCEF Nebraska District Vice President Paul Pettit.

She added that "LCEF's number-one strength is its commitment to faith and to serving people of God -- a commitment that builds up the church, both physically and in faith."

Paul and Gerry Brill of Castle Rock, Colo., said that this year's leadership conference was the tenth they have attended. Both are LCEF investors.

"We know what kind of good things LCEF can do," said Gerry Brill, explaining that their home congregation -- Epiphany in Castle Rock -- received LCEF loans to buy the farmland where the church building now sits, as well as to expand the facility.

Carol Mittelstaedt, who coordinates the work of mission societies and secures funding for missions in the LCMS Atlantic District, said LCEF funds have been vital to outreach in the New York City area.

That outreach includes ethnic immigrant outreach to many groups, including Bengalis, Indians, Chinese, and Africans.

"What a great opportunity LCEF offers," said Mittelstaedt, "when church members invest their money that can be used for mission outreach."

At the conference opening session, representatives of St. Martini Lutheran School in Milwaukee, received LCEF's Fred E. Lietz Mission Project Award. Named for Church Extension Fund's first executive secretary (and later the first president of the Lutheran Church Extension Fund), the Lietz mission project award "is designed to recognize outstanding efforts on the part of mission projects associated with the [Synod]," said Merle Freitag, current LCEF president.

Freitag noted that St. Martini School, for which LCEF developed a business plan and provided a loan for operations, is one of the oldest schools in Milwaukee.

"And yet," Freitag said, "it is a new ministry, providing the highest quality Lutheran education to 220 high-risk immigrant and minority students, of which 190 have English as a second language."

Freitag observed that St. Martini Lutheran Church, which operates the school, "had no cash resources for the school, and currently no students are members of [the congregation]. But the congregation saw a need for ministry outreach in its community."

LCEF matched the conference worship service offering of more than $8,000 as a gift to St. Martini Lutheran School.

Among other awards given at the fall conference, 11 Synod congregations from five districts were recognized for reaching the $1 million level in LCEF investments for the first time. Also, 10 percent of each of those congregations' members are LCEF investors.

"There is much good news," said Freitag in his conference presentation.

"God continues to bless our efforts to serve the LCMS," he said, adding that LCEF's total assets "passed through the $1.5 billion level during July of this year" and that total assets through September stood at $1.543 billion. Net income through September totaled $9.3 million -- about the same as last year, Freitag pointed out.

"Loan activity as measured by loan approvals ran at a record level in 2006, closing at $296 million," Freitag told the assembly. "It is important to note, however, that organizational loan approvals were $232 million -- below the previous high -- while rostered church worker loans made up the balance, $64 million for the year."

Freitag also spoke about several new LCEF initiatives, including the church worker home equity loan program, the Health Savings Account, and support for hurricane relief on the Gulf Coast.

Freitag then turned his attention to the Synod's Ablaze! movement.

"LCEF support for this initiative and for [LCMS President Gerald B. Kieschnick's] vision [of] One Mission, One Message, One People is contained in three areas," he said. They are:

* a Mission Site Fund of $11 million at an interest rate of 1 percent, for mission planting;

* subsidized ministry services of demographics and Strategic Ministry Planning for congregations and districts; and

* "public support of Ablaze! at every opportunity, such as this event."

Addressing the conference theme of "One People: Ablaze!," Kieschnick laid out for attendees the desired characteristics of "One People" for the Synod, quoting Phil. 1:27.

"Whatever happens," that verse reads, "conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm on one spirit, striving side-by-side for the faith of the Gospel."

"These words beg for the exhibition of attributes from the one people of the church," Kieschnick said.

He then proposed the following seven characteristics "that I pray will be displayed and will mark our living together and working together as one people in the LCMS":

* They are united in confession of faith.

* They share a common vision.

* They are loyal to one another.

* They encourage one another.

* They trust one another.

* They are truthful with one another.

* They love one another.

"I dare say," Kieschnick said after summarizing those characteristics, "when [they] are present, the conditions are right for the one people of God to be Ablaze! with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

"In our Synod," Kieschnick later observed, "it is possible for us to be Ablaze! as one people in this manner. We have a vision that causes us to focus on those essentials that we hold in common in order to promote a unified focus for mission and the common good for our Lord and His Church. This vision sets a course that recognizes that faith in action can be alive even as oneness continues to be fostered."

At the opening banquet, Synod Fifth Vice President David Buegler echoed the "One People" theme, adding that Ablaze! reminds him of fireworks, and sharing faith like the apostles did after they received the "flame of fire" on their heads at Pentecost.

"From now on, when you hear me refer to fireworks, I don't want you to think of Chinese-manufactured pyrotechnics," Buegler said. "I want you to think of the beautiful marriage of faith and good works that ought to be reflected in this church and in her people, especially her leaders gathered in this place. What we need in this Synod are more fireworks. And we need to encourage one another as we are doing this weekend. When we do, we are fanning the flame in each of us."

As Buegler spoke, audience members waved hundreds of fiber-optic "fireworks" wands that were handed to them.

Tim Goeglein, special assistant to President George W. Bush and deputy director of the White House Office of Public Liaison, was speaker for the Saturday morning president's prayer breakfast.

"I can't tell you what an honor and what a pleasure it is to be here today, as a proud Missouri Synod Lutheran," Goeglein said, as he conveyed greetings from the president.

He told his listeners of the importance of Christians being involved in political activity.

"The majority of people I know who enter politics -- Democrats and Republicans alike -- do so for exactly the right reasons," Goeglein said. "They want to do good."

Goeglein continued that many aspects of politics are "mundane and prosaic. And as a Lutheran Christian I believe there are intrinsic limits to what politics can achieve and the place it should hold in our lives. We cannot usher the kingdom of God into this world. That task belongs to Jesus Christ. But political acts can have profound consequences," he said. "The wonderful thing, as Christians, is that we serve [a] King who is with us each and every step of the way."

Also on the fall conference program was Pat Williams, senior vice president of the Orlando Magic pro basketball team and a motivational speaker. Author of several books on the topic, Williams spoke about the qualities of leadership.

In addition to plenary sessions, there also was worship, a business session, and small-group workshops and Bible studies on topics such as "The People of God in Christ's Mission" and "One People -- kids in stewardship."

Holding separate meetings in conjunction with the LCEF conference were groups including the LCMS Board of Directors, Council of Presidents, and Board for Communication Services; the LCMS Foundation Board of Trustees; and business administrators from the Synod and the LCMS colleges and seminaries.

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org <mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org> or (314) 996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d =6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on "Contact Editor" above.

_____