From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Mission Initiative leaders thanks Jan Opdyke

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:15:20 -0500

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

======================================= Corrected version: one word, "million," added in paragraph two.

This story located at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2006/06649.htm

06649 December 7, 2006

Mission Initiative leaders thanks Jan Opdyke

Campaign director resigned in September to care for ailing mother

by Jerry L. Van Marter

HOUSTON - The Steering Committee of the Mission Initiative: Joining Hearts and Hands paused during its meeting here Nov. 30 to thank its longtime campaign director, Jan Opdyke.

Opdyke, who has been with the five-year, $40 campaign since its inception in 2002 and who has directed it for the last three years, resigned in early October to care for her ailing mother in California.

The campaign, mandated by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to raise funds for new overseas missionaries and for church redevelopment and new church development in this country, has raised almost $26 million of it goal. The campaign concludes in 2008.

The full text of the Steering Committee's resolution, dated Nov. 30, 2007:

The Steering Committee of the Mission Initiative: Joining Hearts and Hands expresses its deep gratitude to Jan Opdyke for her outstanding leadership of this important campaign in the Presbyterian Church (USA). It has been a joy to work alongside her.

Jan labored tirelessly and with tremendous grace as the Director of the Hearts and Hands Campaign for nearly four years. Under her skilled guidance, more than $25 million in pledges have been received. These funds will help advance the cause of Christ as local congregations grow in this country and new mission partnerships are created around the world.

We will miss Jan's winsome presence at the head of the Hearts and Hands Campaign. We give thanks to God for the gifts she brought to our work together. We pray God's blessing upon her in the future.