From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Teaching: San Diego parish empowers Latinas through Guadalupe Art program / Catalyst: Great Mu

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:18:46 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, December 12, 2006, in Advent.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm *Today in History: On this day in 1995, the Bishop of Southwest Virginia returned sacred land to Monacan Indians. http://www.episcopalarchives.com/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_numbe r=95-1336

- - -

Diocesan Digest

VIRGINIA: Bishop asks for 'unity through diversity' http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80452_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

World Report

FIJI: Anglican Archbishop speaks out in support of duly-elected government http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80450_ENG_HTM.htm

GUINEA: Chaos and war avoidable, Church World Service director says http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80447_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTH AFRICA/MIDDLE EAST: Tutu's Gaza visit blocked by Israel http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80445_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Teaching: San Diego parish empowers Latinas through Guadalupe Art program

[ENS] The Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is celebrated on December 12 to commemorate the appearance of the Virgin Mary in the Americas. However, for the past four years, St. Paul's Cathedral in the Diocese of San Diego has used that icon to spiritually empower Latinas in their Guadalupe Art Program.

The Guadalupe Art Program is a bi-lingual workshop for girls aged 8-17 that uses the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the most ubiquitous icon in Latino culture, to explore, develop, and deepen their spiritual lives through art, music, and dance. The art program addresses many of the negative issues within the participants' culture and society at-large: oppression, sexism, abuse, addiction, and violence. The girls learn about and discuss positive changes that come through wise choices that can be implemented in their lives.

Aspects of the program include art, music, dance, education and pastoral care.

Through art, the girls use the image of Guadalupe as their model and paint themselves into her corona, thereby placing them within her loving aura. In doing this, they have the opportunity to explore their own sacred beauty. These images have now moved beyond the canvas and the same theme has been extended to the creation of jewelry, gardens, pottery, quilts, and photographic images.

The Cathedral celebrated the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on December 10, at 5 p.m., with Mañanitas -- Serenade to our Lady Guadalupe. The service featured actor Caitland Wachs (Commander in Chief), Jamie Donnelly (Grease), Enrique Moronas, E.D., human rights advocate, Danza Azteca de la Catedral, and Mariachi Real of San Diego, plus an Art and Altars exhibit in the Great Hall. The works of art have been displayed in exhibitions at several cathedrals -- Episcopalian and Roman Catholic -- in both Los Angeles and San Diego. Some of the work can be seen at: http://www.stpaulcathedral.org/slideshows/guadalupe/guadalupe.html

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80454_ENG_HTM.htm _ _ _

Catalyst: "Great Music of Christmas" from Church Publishing, Inc., by The Cathedral Choir and The Boys and Girls Choir of St. John, Denver, Colorado, CD, c. 1996, $18

[Source: Church Publishing, Inc.] -- This CD contains old and new hymns and carols from The Hymnal 1982.

Track List:

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing It Came Upon a Midnight Clear Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming Unto Us a Boy is Born Away in a Manger While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks A Child is Born in Bethlehem The Angel Gabriel The Snow Lay on the Ground A La Ru

From Heaven Above Earth I Come

'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime Angels We Have Heard on High Joy To the World O Little Town of Bethlehem Lully, Lullay God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen Nova, Nova In the Bleak Midwinter On This Day A Stable Lamp is Lighted Now Greet the Swiftly Changing Year Silent Night Good Christian Friends, Rejoice What Child is This O Come, All Ye Faithful

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800.903.5544.