From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop, Other Leaders Applaud Passage of Haiti Legislation

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 16:48:39 -0600

Title: ELCA Presiding Bishop, Other Leaders Applaud Passage of Haiti Legislation ELCA NEWS SERVICE

December 12, 2006

ELCA Presiding Bishop, Other Leaders Applaud Passage of Haiti Legislation 06-195-AL*

WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and four other Christian leaders in the United States commended members of the U.S. Congress this week for passing landmark legislation to bring economic opportunity to Haiti, one of the world's most impoverished countries.

Congress passed the Haiti Hemispheric Opportunity through Partnership Encouragement (HOPE) Act December 9 in the final hours of the 109th Congress. The HOPE Act grants preferential access to Haitian exports for entry into the U.S. market. The ELCA joined with the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, and the United Methodist Church to support the legislation.

"As religious leaders, we will continue to stand in solidarity with Haitians as they work to increase the stability of their nation and lift their people out of poverty," said Hanson.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has been "plagued by political violence for most of its history," according to "The World Factbook" published by the Central Intelligence Agency.

In an October 31 letter, leaders from the Episcopal Church, United Church of Christ, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), and United Methodist Church urged members of Congress to take action on the HOPE Act.

"Despite [its] legacy of poverty, the present moment offers great hope that Haiti is on the path to deeper security for its people and the entire region," the leaders wrote. The leaders listed reform initiatives undertaken by Haiti President Rene Préval in recent years, including combating drug transshipment and violent crime, but noted, "stability will not take root in Haiti without economic development and the textile and apparel sector - the segment of the economy that would benefit most from the HOPE Act - offers the best opportunity for job creation."

The Lutheran World Federation has worked with Haiti on development and community organizing for more than 20 years, according to Dennis W. Frado, director of the Lutheran Office for World Community, which represents the ELCA and the Lutheran World Federation at the United Nations, New York.

"As people of faith, we are called to work for justice and peace for all, and striving for economic justice in Haiti is a critical part of our accompaniment of the Haitian people," he said.

The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop and primate of the Episcopal Church, pointed to the grassroots advocacy that helped galvanize support for the legislation. "Thousands of Christians contacted their lawmakers in support of the HOPE Act over the past week because they knew that this legislation is good not only for the people of Haiti, but also for Americans," she said. The United States is Haiti's principal trading partner, and the HOPE Act will have no adverse impact on U.S. manufacturers, according to a recent study by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

"Congress has brought a light of hope to the long-suffering people of Haiti with bipartisan legislation," said Bishop Thomas G. Wenski of Orlando, chair, USCCB International Policy Committee. "This action reflects the desire of the American people to be good neighbors to a deeply impoverished county so close to our own border. We continue to urge our political leaders to recognize that as the richest nation in the world we have a moral responsibility to help our most vulnerable brothers and sisters around the globe."

---

* Annie Lynsen is director for grassroots advocacy and communication, ELCA Washington Office.

The full text of the letter supporting passage of the HOPE Act is at http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy/issues/latinamerica/06-10- 31-haiti.html on the ELCA Web site.

Information about the ELCA's advocacy ministries is at http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog