From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: ABCUSA BIDS FAREWELL TO WADE

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:22:49 -0500

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 12/18/06)-Staff and guests gathered at the Mission Center in Valley Forge last Friday to say goodbye to Associate General Secretary and Treasurer, the Rev. Dr. Cheryl H. Wade. Having served fourteen years in that position, Wade now moves on to serve the Kendal Corporation as director of philanthropy and executive director of Kendal Charitable Funds.

In his remarks to Wade at the gathering, ABCUSA General Secretary, the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley , said, "I have served with many financial officers in my years of ministry, and I have never worked with someone who has, as consistently as you, raised the question of how decisions will impact the most vulnerable and most marginalized. This question arises not only out of your principles but also out of your heart because of your love for the poor and marginalized."

Commenting on another of Wade's attributes, Dr. Robert H. Roberts, special assistant to the Office of the General Secretary, said, "Cheryl stewarded the mission treasury with high integrity. During the course of her tenure, more than $750 million dollars passed through ABCUSA and every dollar was audited accurately. Her faithful stewardship of mission funds made it possible for American Baptist fundraisers like me to ask for support without worry."

When asked about Wade's departure, Dr. Leo S. Thorne, associate general secretary for Mission Resource Development, said, "Cheryl's high professionalism and genuine Christian spirit will be missed among us. She leaves big shoes to be filled."

In her address to the assembled guests, Wade spoke about her love for the denomination and the churches she has served while thanking her coworkers for the many good times and opportunities they had for working together. She was also frank and genuine in her estimation of the current situation: "The truth is that it can also be a heavy burden to serve here. We serve in a context that is chaotic. We work in a time that looks a lot like a second reformation, and we don't yet know the shape of the church that will emerge. But we do know who will still be the head of the church and that is Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever."

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/