From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

AJC Radio Message: Holiday Wishes to U.S. Troops Overseas

From "Ari Gordon" <gordona@ajc.org>
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:19:11 -0500

AJC Radio Message: Holiday Wishes to U.S. Troops Overseas

December 19, 2006 - New York - American Jewish Committee Executive Director David A. Harris, in his weekly national radio commentary, urges listeners to remember American troops serving overseas during this holiday season. "Whatever our political differences, we should unite in wishing our troops safety and success in their mission," says Harris. "Let's remember that because of them, and those who served before them, we're blessed to live in this democratic land."

Harris delivers weekly messages on the CBS radio network, airing during the Osgood File. All AJC radio commentaries since 2001 are available at www.ajc.org.

The full text of this week's commentary follows:

Christmas is just around the corner.

Meanwhile, Jews are now celebrating the eight days of Chanukah. It's a festive holiday season for many. A time for spiritual reflection, family gatherings, and much more.

But for some Americans - our troops serving in distant, dangerous places - this time of year is tough. The separation from loved ones becomes especially difficult.

Those troops volunteered to serve their country. They put on the nation's uniform to help protect our national security in a turbulent world. We're all the beneficiaries of their decision. Freedom, as we know, isn't free. It requires people of courage and resolve to help defend our values and way of life.

Whatever our political differences, we should unite in wishing our troops safety and success in their mission. At this holiday season, keep those troops in mind. Let's remember that because of them, and those who served before them, we're blessed to live in this democratic land.

Visit us at ajc.org.

This is David Harris of the American Jewish Committee.

Ari M. Gordon Department of Interreligious Affairs American Jewish Committee 165 E56th St. New York, NY 10022 (212) 751-4000 x266 www.ajc.org www.engagingamerica.org