From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] 'Large, viable remnant' wants to continue as Episcopal congregation

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org> (by way of Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>)
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:03:32 -0800

Episcopal News Service December 19, 2006

'Large, viable remnant' wants to continue as Episcopal congregation

Determination to move forward outweighs sadness

By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[ENS] The 30 or so members of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Heathsville, Virginia, who opposed a recent vote by the majority of the congregation and the rector to join the Anglican Church of Nigeria say they want to continue as the Episcopal presence in their community.

"We are prepared to continue to operate St. Stephen's as an Episcopal Church, and I think we have people who will agree to accept leadership positions and to continue to carry on the work of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church," said Dawn Mahaffey, one of the people who voted against what some members are calling "the secession."

Sandra Kirkpatrick referred to that slowly organizing group as a "large, viable remnant."

Their determination comes not without some pain.

"Two of the speakers who wished to secede from the Episcopal Church told those of us sitting in the congregation that if we voted 'no' we were imperiling our immortal souls, and that was hard to hear," said Kirkpatrick, describing a discussion held during the week before the voting began. "This was said lovingly by people who have been my friends - dear friends - for over 10 years but they are very, very, very convinced that they are dong the right thing in leaving the Episcopal Church and they are acting genuinely worried about those of us who are not."

Mahaffey said she does "truly love" the family she has at St. Stephen's.

"This is not personal. These people have been my family, and I, and I don't think any of the others that have come to me, would harbor any evil feelings toward our fellow parishioners," she said. "This has been an issue around leadership and it's just been the way in which it has been handled. I don't think it's been done in a kind and equitable and fair way."

Full story and photograph:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80654_ENG_HTM.htm