From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] First in new bulletin insert series highlighting Millennium Development Goals set for use this

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org> (by way of Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>)
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:04:34 -0800

Episcopal News Service January 2, 2007

First in new bulletin insert series highlighting Millennium Development Goals set for use this Sunday

[ENS] The first in a 10-part series of Sunday bulletin inserts the United Nations' eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), and ways in which the Episcopal Church is committed to their realization is suggested for use this coming Sunday, January 7.

The series has installments for the Sundays from January 7 to March 11.

The inserts, which may be downloaded and duplicated for insertion in parish bulletins and service leaflets, are available on the ENS website under the Weekly Bulletin Inserts button on the right side of the page. The inserts, available in either English (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_11775_ENG_HTM.htm) or Spanish (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80604_ENG_HTM.htm), are black-and-white and come in two sizes: half of an 8.5" by 11" sheet double-sided and a full 8.5" by 11" one-sided in PDF format.

The inserts continue the "Episcopal Life This Week" sequence, and are a joint project of ENS and the Episcopal Life newspaper.

First among the mission priorities that the Episcopal Church adopted (http://gc2006.org/legislation/view_leg_detail.aspx?id=261&type=CURRENT) at its General Convention in June 2006 is justice and peace work, framed by the MDGs -- an eight-prong declaration that has at its core the eradication of extreme poverty by the target date of 2015.

"This church has said that our larger vision will be framed and shaped in the coming years by the vision of shalom embedded in the Millennium Development Goals -- a world where the hungry are fed, the ill are healed, the young educated, women and men treated equally, and where all have access to clean water and adequate sanitation, basic health care, and the promise of development that does not endanger the rest of creation," Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said during her November 4 investiture sermon (http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_79214_ENG_HTM.htm). "That vision of abundant life is achievable in our own day, but only with the passionate commitment of each and every one of us."