From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] World Report / Weeks Ahead / Catalyst: We Preach the Christ Crucified

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:28:26 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Wednesday, January 10, 2007, in Epiphany. The Church calendar remembers William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury (1573-1645)

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1739, George Whitefield, preacher credited with starting America's first Great Awakening, was ordained an Anglican priest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Whitefield

- - -

Diocesan Digest

VIRGINIA: Diocese won't renew 'standstill agreement' with dissenting members http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81098_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_19507_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

World Report

A round-up of world news and reports from Anglican provinces since January 3:

ASIA: Christians urged to help protect human rights http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81088_ENG_HTM.htm

ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury announces Covenant Design Group members http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81046_ENG_HTM.htm

HONG KONG: Outgoing Anglican leader urges dialogue, not schism on sexuality http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80961_ENG_HTM.htm

KENYA: Archbishop urges government to accept Somali refugees http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80963_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77937_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Weeks Ahead

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80862_ENG_HTM.htm

-----------------

EVENTS

-----------------

January 11, 2007

* CLEVELAND, Ohio: Trinity dean holds photo exhibit

January 12, 2007

* SURRY, Virginia: Winter Talk 2007

January 13, 2007

* NEW YORK CITY: Awakening the Dreamer

January 14, 2007

* FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania: Rector's Forum

January 15, 2007

* BEACON, New York: Service in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. * BRONX, New York: Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori to celebrate and preach in Annual Bronx-wide Dr. Martin Luther King Day Celebration * LOS ANGELES, California: Rev. Robert C. Wright to preach on MLK Day * WASHINGTON, D.C.: Sister Helen Prejean and Recording Artist Bomani Armah * WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral College of Preachers features Michael Battle

January 20, 2007

* RANDOLPH, New Jersey: Diocese of Newark to meet in convention

January 21, 2007

* NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana: Thinking Outside the Plate, Re-Imagining the Offering * WASHINGTON, D.C.: Cathedral State Day honors New Jersey

January 22, 2007

* NEW YORK CITY: Trinity Institute's 37th National Theological Conference

January 23, 2007

* BERKELEY, California: Epiphany West 2007: Re-Visioning Anglicanism * HAITI: Diocese of Haiti to meet in convention

January 24, 2007

* NATIONAL: New National Episcopal Health Ministries Teleseminar

January 25, 2007

* PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Florida: Tapestry: A Colorful Pattern of Ministries

January 26, 2007

* GREENSBORO, North Carolina: Diocese of North Carolina to meet in convention * NEW YORK CITY: Symposium on Art and Religion * RICHMOND, Virginia: Diocese of Virginia to meet in convention * ROANOKE, Virginia: Diocese of Southwestern Virginia to meet in convention * WASHINGTON, D.C.: Diocese of Washington to meet in convention

January 27, 2007

* LIVE OAK, Florida: Diocese of Florida to meet in convention * ORLANDO, Florida: Diocese of Central Florida to meet in convention

January 31, 2007

* NEW YORK CITY: Dean Samuel T. Lloyd to speak at Winter Parish Dinner

February 1, 2007

* VALDOSTA, Georgia: Diocese of Georgia to meet in convention

February 7, 2007

* RALEIGH, North Carolina: Episcopal Urban Caucus 2007 Assembly

February 9, 2007

* GATLINBURG, Tennessee: Diocese of East Tennessee to meet in convention * SAN DIEGO, California: Diocese of San Diego to meet in convention

February 16, 2007

* PORTLAND, Oregon: Lecture and Workshop with Marcus Borg

February 24, 2007

* PORTLAND, Oregon: Second Annual Children's Day at the Cathedral

-----------------

MUSIC

-----------------

January 12, 2007

* HARTFORD, Connecticut: An evening of sacred music and opera

January 14, 2007.

* WILMINGTON, Delaware: Singers invited to sing in Interfaith Choir

January 16, 2007.

* NEW YORK CITY: Great Music at St. Bartholomew's Church series continues

January 20, 2007

* BROOKLYN, New York: Music at Ascension begins

January 21, 2007

* FORT WASHINGTON, Pennsylvania: The tale of Amahl and the Night Visitors

February 2, 2007.

* BEVERLY HILLS, California: Evensong on the Feast of the Presentation

Full calendar: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_80862_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Catalyst: "We Preach the Christ Crucified" from Church Publishing, Inc., by Kenneth Leech, 102 pages, paperback, c. 1994, 2005, $12

[Source: Church Publishing, Inc.] -- Witnessing to the cross of Christ stands at the very heart of Christian spirituality, and without it our faith makes no sense. In this tenth anniversary edition of Kenneth Leech's classic Lenten book, We Preach Christ Crucified, he draws from his own prayer, study of the Bible, and encounters with others to offer a rich account of the resurrection for today. The themes of suffering and healing, justice and compassion, and Christ's dying and rising all come together in a compelling theology of discipleship and ministry.

With six short chapters and hymns and poetry drawn from the Anglican spiritual tradition, We Preach Christ Crucified is an excellent resource for study groups who want to enter more deeply into the meaning of Christian discipleship faith and prayer and study New Testament texts that draw on the Resurrection and themes of Jesus' passion.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.