From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[GOAA] Archbishop Demetrios of America Condemns Attack on U.S. Embassy in Athens

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:41:22 -0800

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA 8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021 Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215 Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 12, 2007

Contact: Marissa P. Costidis Department of Communications Tel.: 212-774-0244

Archbishop Demetrios of America Condemns Attack on U.S. Embassy in Athens

NEW YORK - Upon learning of today's attack against the American Embassy in Athens, Greece, Archbishop Demetrios, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America, issued the following statement:

"I am saddened to learn of today's attack at the American Embassy in Athens Greece. On behalf of the Greek Orthodox Christians in America, I condemn this act of violence and denounce all forms of violence. Today's deplorable event does not represent the peaceful nature of the Republic of Greece and its people, nor the existing friendly relationship and continuous cooperation between Greece and the United States.

We offer our thanks to God that there have been no injuries or loss of life and that the damage to the building of the Embassy is minimal and contained."