From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WCC NEWS: WCC Epiphany message

From "WCC Media" <Media@wcc-coe.org>
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:45:45 +0100

World Council of Churches - News Release

Contact: +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org For immediate release - 15/01/2007 10:20:29 AM

IN MESSAGE FOR THE YEARS AHEAD, KOBIA SUGGESTS TASKS FOR "ECUMENICAL CHRISTIANITY"

"It is together that we find our place in the world," the World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary writes WCC member churches and ecumenical partners in a message about priorities for the years ahead.

"Our calling is to be a people who seek and serve Christ together, to be churches alive in the promise of God?s world-transforming love," the Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia says. The message, released in the season of Epiphany, is for the period until 2013 (reflecting plans made since the WCC's 9th assembly last year in Brazil).

The message says "ecumenical Christianity for the 21st century" stands on that common experience of Christ and on "a common understanding of a world shared with all of humankind."

It notes that the churches must respond to many global challenges, including the areas of human rights, care for the earth and its climate, and overcoming violence. "Churches in many places will have to find new ways of witness in the world. We will have to pray for unity and seek it, perhaps especially in working for justice and reconciliation, and in developing inter-religious partnerships for joint action on difficult issues," Kobia suggests.

He outlines six new programmes for the WCC secretariat "as the global instrument of this fellowship".

"While much in our world pulls us apart, the opportunities to find strength in unity today may be greater than ever before." the general secretary says. "Life is given to us not for domination or self-centredness , but for sharing, thankfulness, conviviality and joy," the Epiphany message concludes. "We are to find our place in the world together, as believers in God and as churches for the world."

The full text of Kobia's Ephiphany message is available on the WCC website at: http://www.oikoumene.org/index.php?id=2955

Additional information: Juan Michel, +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@wcc-coe.org

Sign up for WCC press releases at

http://onlineservices.wcc-coe.org/pressnames.nsf

The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness and service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of churches founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 348 Protestant, Orthodox, Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million Christians in over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church. The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from the Methodist Church in Kenya. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.

WCC Spam ID: nJoBWU5exi1qWrutF9UPe3zxFO1kvkS1uXQ4WDHV1NjMpf3OQUc2W1yD9KlKiE s