From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Mission: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day declaration from Churches Uniting in Christ

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:32:35 -0500

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Monday, January 15, 2007, in Epiphany.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation: http://www.forwardmovement.org/todaysreading.cfm * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1535, Henry VIII declares himself head of the Church of England. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII_of_Englandff

- - -

Mission: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day declaration from Churches Uniting in Christ

[ENS] In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, ENS offers the following declaration from Churches Uniting in Christ (CUIC), "a relationship among Christian communions that have pledged to live more closely together in expressing their unity in Christ and to combat racism together." Among the signatories is Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori.

Additional resources from CUIC are available at http://www.cuicinfo.org.

Declaration on the anniversary celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the fifth anniversary of Churches Uniting in Christ (CUIC).

January 14, 2007

January 15, 2007 marks the 21st anniversary celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the fifth anniversary of Churches Uniting in Christ (CUIC).

On January 21, 2002 leaders representing 10 denominations assembled in Memphis, Tennessee, at the historic Lorraine Motel, stood and viewed the site where the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was slain on April 4, 1968. They gathered to sign an agreement committing the members and partners in mission of CUIC to express their unity in Christ by living more closely together and working together to combat racism in the church and in society. In their statement the Heads of Communion affirmed that we must hold a common vision for God's Beloved Community that is a community "committed to eradicating racism and making no peace with oppression."

Growing out of the 40-year history of the Consultation on Church Union, the members of CUIC chose this sacred site of the National Civil Rights Museum to honor the prophetic vision for which Martin Luther King, Jr. lived, worked, and died. They pledged themselves "to be the church of Jesus Christ proclaiming and doing justice, and seeking peace." The members of CUIC are called to be ambassadors of reconciliation in a world sold on the idolatries of privilege and racial exclusivity that continue to divide and alienate the family of God, denying the truth that we are all created in the image of the one God.

Common witness and service are two marks of our unity in Christ. Our partnership in CUIC recognizes that one barrier to the expression of unity in the Christian family is the continuing reality of racism in the church and in the human community. The vision of CUIC is that authentic unity may be born in the struggle for racial justice, and that our collective prophetic witness against injustice and oppression in all forms is a measure of our faithfulness to the Gospel.

Religious and secular reports remind us that there is still much to be done to dismantle and eradicate racism. We are hopeful that our efforts will not be in vain. We believe in the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. "There is a power in love that our world has not discovered yet."

We CUIC leaders urge our congregations to join with other CUIC congregations in your community to discern ways to exercise common witness and common service as together we seek to dismantle racism and, in so doing, to be the voice and presence of God's love in the world.

Full declaration with signatures: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81193_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Diocesan Digest

LOUISIANA: Bishop joins other clergy in New Orleans anti-crime march http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81185_ENG_HTM.htm

PITTSBURGH: Parish to host local kickoff for MDGs effort http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81184_ENG_HTM.htm

SOUTH CAROLINA: Diocese postpones Bishop-elect's consecration http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81172_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

People

Arkansas Episcopal head of school Diane Brownlee to leave post voluntarily http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81187_ENG_HTM.htm

Kate Adams joins Episcopal Church Foundation

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81188_ENG_HTM.htm

Donald Keeney named director of Booher Library at Seminary of the Southwest http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81189_ENG_HTM.htm

Christine Petersen-Snyder becomes first woman rector of Farmingdale parish http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_81191_ENG_HTM.htm

- - -

Catalyst: "Not by Bread Alone: Daily Reflections for Lent" from Morehouse Publishing, by Sherri L. Vallee, 100 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $2

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] -- Lent reminds Christians to refocus their vision on the life, death, and glorious resurrection of Jesus. In this handy, pocket-sized book, readers will find the help they need to do just that.

Not by Bread Alone: Daily Reflections for Lent includes seasonal scripture readings, brief inspirational essays, and reflection questions -- a prayerful companion for this holy season that can easily become very task -- rather than ministry -- oriented." -- Anglican Journal

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800-903-5544.